Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laundry tub connection

I recently connected a new standpipe to our 4in. main, but now need to reconnect a 60 yr. old cast-iron sink. On the first and second drawings, all connections are complete to the end of the 4in. after the clean-out. To the end of this pipe I need to attach a 4 x 2 reducing eccentric in order to get the 1/4in. per foot pitch on the sink trap-arm. the trap on the sink can come apart and I'm also adding a c/o to the vent which was previously used for a (now) non-existent dry-well. My question is whether the clean-outs are acceptable? This area is in the basement against an outside wall. Just to mention, our area of New Hampshire uses the IRC. Thanks for any helpClick image for larger version

Name:	0722131750.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	87767Click image for larger version

Name:	0722131753.jpg
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	87768Click image for larger version

Name:	0722131753a.jpg
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	87769
    Last edited by Xsubber; 07-26-2013, 04:51 PM.

drain & vent

what's the purpose of all those cleanouts? a cleanout is meant so you can get a snake into the main line. I can see the cleanout on a branch wye but not a tee or sanitary tee. the snake just won't make the "bend" in the fitting.
    as far as the sink vent, I'd use as a minimum, 2 inch pipe through the roof. I don't think you'll find a roof cap that'll take much smaller than a 2 inch.

Comment

laundry tub connection

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      what's the purpose of all those cleanouts? a cleanout is meant so you can get a snake into the main line. I can see the cleanout on a branch wye but not a tee or sanitary tee. the snake just won't make the "bend" in the fitting.
      as far as the sink vent, I'd use as a minimum, 2 inch pipe through the roof. I don't think you'll find a roof cap that'll take much smaller than a 2 inch.
      I've seen other photos by pros and it looked like there were vents on all of the trap arm vents with a c/o and santee. Would a combo wye be a better choice? The 1 1/2 vent for the sink is the old iron pipe I'm reusing from the drywell. After picking up the kitchen sink, it heads up thru the roof; looks like 1 1/2 ip above the roof line. Is the 4in. c/o ok where positioned with the extension for the eccentric?
      Last edited by Xsubber; 07-27-2013, 09:01 AM. Reason: not sure what you meant by a roof cap

Comment

1 1/2" vent pipes are fairly common, though mostly now 2" are run (both are acceptable). 1 1/2" roof vent caps are easy to find as well if required.
        Clean outs are not required and seldom fitted to T fittings, they are also not required on the first 90 degree bend of a toilet line as the toilet can be pulled and clean out can happen from there.
        As to your initial question regarding the proposed clean outs, there is no code on having too many.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

laundry tub vent

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
          1 1/2" vent pipes are fairly common, though mostly now 2" are run (both are acceptable). 1 1/2" roof vent caps are easy to find as well if required.
          Clean outs are not required and seldom fitted to T fittings, they are also not required on the first 90 degree bend of a toilet line as the toilet can be pulled and clean out can happen from there.
          As to your initial question regarding the proposed clean outs, there is no code on having too many.
          Thanks for your info. I'm still a little foggy about the placement of that 4in. clean-out on the main and the extension for the 4x2 eccentric. also not quite certain about that original 1 1/2 in. iron pipe running horizontal; seems what I've read is they have to run vertical or in a vertical direction until above the highest fixture on the line

Comment

drain lines

when I moved into this house I needed to connect the main effluent to the interceptor sewer line out front.
            so what I did was re-pipe the entire drain system.
            my main line is 3 inch plastic.
            wherever I had a drastic change of direction I have a screw cover cleanout.
            my drain and vent system consists of two pipes, the vent line is about 6 inches above the inlet to the main drain. this way I always have air over discharge.
            the vent line is tied into the main stack which goes through the roof roughly a foot above the highest discharge line.
            my tiled shower exits the shower to a two inch cleanout/trap and feeds to the main line through a sanitary tee.
            my tub is connected into a side inlet before the shower drain line which goes to a trap.
            my sink drain is a 2 inch plastic that goes into a 3X2X3 sanitary tee.
            my toilet has a ninety degree bend that goes into a tee-wye with an eighth bend in the main line. total distance is less than two feet.
            the vertical drain line goes into a ninety degree elbow in the basement, my washer connection tees into this main drain so that the line is always flushed out whenever the washer drains.
            after the ninety my effluent line changes direction with a 3 inch sanitary tee with a cleanout at the end
            at a midpoint the line changes direction again with a sanitary tee and a cleanout. my sink connects to a 3X2 reducer after the 3 inch tee.
            I have another 2 inch vent that connects to and above the sink drain to provide drain air.
            outside of the house foundation I have another sanitary tee with a cleanout. after about a three foot run horizontally, the main drain makes up with the green 4 inch line the town put is using a 3X4 fernco coupling.

Comment

laundry tub connect

Thanks HayZee. I think I followed that ok. Sounds like as long as I have some air on that 2in trap-arm I should be alright. I'll change the horizontal ip vent to a 45deg, connect to it, and keep everything else as is. Sorry for the small drawings; I right-clicked on them for enlargement; didn't know how to attach a larger pic

Comment

Working...
              X
              =