Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have exposed 2x4 in shower. new homeowner need advise

I just bought a house built in 2009. My OCD wife noticed this problem in the master shower. Under the seat is exposed pressure treated 2x4s and there's a gap where the wall tiles don't go all the way up. Subsequently we have a mold issue.

Please answer if this is normal and okay. My wife doesn't like it unfinished.

I was thinking I would cover the bottom side with cement board.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130727_065444.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	87770
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130727_065401.jpg
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	87771

The answer is No, No and No, there should NEVER be exposed wood of any kind in a tiled shower construction. As you can see via the existing mold, even wood under a seat will start to rot.
    This area should have been covered with cement backer board and tiled at the same time as the rest of the shower. Cement backer board cannot be left exposed either, it does absorb moisture it's saving grace is that it doesn't fall apart when it gets wet, nor will mold grow on it, however left exposed it will degrade over time with direct exposure to moisture.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
      The answer is No, No and No, there should NEVER be exposed wood of any kind in a tiled shower construction. As you can see via the existing mold, even wood under a seat will start to rot.
      This area should have been covered with cement backer board and tiled at the same time as the rest of the shower. Cement backer board cannot be left exposed either, it does absorb moisture it's saving grace is that it doesn't fall apart when it gets wet, nor will mold grow on it, however left exposed it will degrade over time with direct exposure to moisture.
      Thank you for the response. I figured this just was looking for confirmation. I got it tiled and set Sunday. I would say it turned out good for being my first tile job and considering it was upside down in a tight spot that can't be seen.Click image for larger version

Name:	20130728_212942.jpg
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	87217

Comment

Working...
      X
      =