Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulation issues with my plumbing

I recently acquired a home last winter just in time to find out that the pipes freeze during the winter. It's a new home so the piping is PEX. The water comes down from the ceiling along an outside wall for my kitchen, bathroom, and laundry-room. So going up into the attic I find the PEX pipes wrapped in tubular insulation with a layer of fiberglass insulation sitting on top of the pipes in the attic. The pipes run from the center of attic to the outside walls, down through the top of the wall. I don't know how much insulation is in the walls. On top of that all three places where the PEX goes into the wall there is a vent in the soffit fascia right next to it. I would like to take care of this without some major construction. I would appreciate any help you have. Thanks

Have you been able to identify where the pipes are freezing ?

If the attic section of pipes are wrapped in insulation and have fiberglass insulation over the top make sure that the insulation covers completely and doesn't leave air gaps between PEX and insulation.
    Make sure that where the pipes go down into the wall that the insulation covers this area.

Most often i see the issue being in the wall, unfortunately there is no easy fix for this other than removing drywall (or exterior wall if possible) and installing the insulation correctly. Ideally the pipe should be on the interior side of the insulation.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =