Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving a vanity drain line

I'm doing a bath remodel and want to move a drain and supplies to the center of the new vanity. It is a first floor room with an unfinished basement below and easy access to all existing fittings. The supplies are no problem. It's the drain/vent that concerns me. Red arrow shows approx. location of new drain line.
    Issue # 1: I'm reluctant to cut 4 studs to move the 2" drain line. There's not enough room for a right angle drill with a hole saw to cut anything but the first stud to the right of the new location.
    This bath is on the first floor and there is a bedroom directly above it. Running a new vent from the attic down to the first floor won't work either.
    The only options I can come up with are:
    1. Build a false wall in front of the existing one and run the vent through it.
    2. Install an AAV. Don't know if code allows this or not.
    3. Let me throw out one other completely hair brained idea. This probably won't work, is not up to code or both but here goes:
    Why not cap the existing drain as it enters the vent/drain stack? In the basement, replace the ell with a T or wye and run my new drain up the stud bay from the basement.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ken

Click image for larger version

Name:	Plumbing1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	87787

BINGO....Number 3 is the winner if you have access below in the basement. The easiest option would be to hole cut through those three studs but if you don't have an extension then it's a tough one although an extension isn't all that expensive (around $10).
    You can easily do it with a rubber Ferno whye bring the drain up through the bottom plate and directly into the stud cavity, the existing plumbing line is very sloppy (especially for a plumber to have done it).
    Many jurisdictions allow aav's normally though for island sinks etc... Just make sure the aav is above the over flow of the sink, usually they end up right up under the counter top.\

While I think about it as long as the new whye is on the vertical section of that line and you cap the old drain pipe then the existing vent would still be suitable.
    Last edited by pushkins; 08-11-2013, 04:37 PM.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I really appreciate it.
      I'll check out getting a chuck extender for my drill. My 2 concerns are weakening the wall by drilling a 2 1/4" hole through 4 studs and whether I can get the right size extender that will work with the varying widths of the stud bays. Any comments are welcome.

Assuming failure with the above option, then I assume it's ok to use the old capped drain as a vent. If it's not a lot of trouble, could you give me a rough drawing of what the new drain/vent will look like? Could I use a Tee instead of a whye since only air will be flowing down the old drain line?

Here's what I've got in the basement right now. The white arrow show the direction of the proposed new drain. The perspective is the same as my previous photo.

Thanks again for your input. I really appreciate it.

Ken

Click image for larger version

Name:	Drain1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	87221

Comment

Still not sure why the plumber ran the line on that side of the floor joist and up through the floor, seems he could have added a 90 degree elbow to get to other other side of the joist then up into the wall stud cavity.
        If you "T" into the vertical section of the 2" then you could use it as a vent.
        If your worried about a 2" hole in the studs you can very easily transition down to a 1 1/2" pipe right at the existing T in the stud cavity, cut out the existing T add a fernco 2" x 2" x 1 1/2" , Cutting a hole 1 1/2" in a 2x4 stud is most certainly inside code compliance and done on every house built. As for the extension all you need is a 1/4" standard drill extension like used for extending a Phillips bit. ( I think it's 1/4" on hole saws from memory). If you have to (and you probably should cut out the existing T ) then you can drill the hole from both sides.
        This option is by far the easiest and would allow you to easily use the existing drain line and vent line.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

drain & vent

as long as you are within 6 feet of a vent line, you can extend a drain line.
          sugesstion: remove the elbow and desanko fitting and cap off. [upstairs]
          in the basement: remove the elbow and substitute a sanitary tee, connecting the vent to the drain.
          extend out from the tee to where you transition towards the back wall and install an elbow.
          install a short section with an elbow going upwards to where you need the drain line. drill up or downwards [which ever you wish] for the drain connection.
          come up and install an elbow and desanko fitting for your sink drain line [trap, slip fittings etc]

Comment

Working...
          X
          =