Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tub Spout Diverter problem

An interesting problem.

When I bought my house the tub spout diverter wasn't working properly as it would not always stay up and when it does it would still let through a lot of water to the tub. As it was old anyway I replaced the whole set up with a new shower head, mixing valve and a tub spout with its diverter.

I worked only a little better and over time it got worse again. After a while a got sick of it and said "ok I am going to solve this once and for all" by just putting a valve in between the mixing valve and the tub sprout. Doing so completely shuts of the water flow to the tub spout and all water is now diverted to the shower head.

The water came out properly so I thought I was done.

No so: because now the water temperature only rises to lukewarm. Here is where I get lost as, in my mind, I just replaced the functionality of the tub spout diverter with a valve. And this should not have an influence to the water temperature.

So theoretically this result does not make any sense and your help is much appreciated.

John

No idea why if it was hot enough and now isn't with just installing a shut off valve, but have you adjusted the scold prevention fitting ?
    Take the handle off and on the mixer body you will see a small (usually white) plastic fitting with grooves around the interior, pull it off and reposition it so the handle can turn more towards to hot.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Okay I did not know there was such a thing. I will check and come back with the result of my findings.

THANKS

Comment

I took the handle off and indeed I was able to turn the valve open much further but the water temp is still lukewarm or maybe a bit warmer. It seems like the pressure of the hot water is gone.

The hot water in the vanity is still nice and hot and has pressure?

Very weird...

Comment

Turn the valve you installed at the tub spout feed back on, what temp. does the hot reach then ?

Comment

I am trying to find a gauge to measure. But just on practice; before it was nice and needed just a slight bit of cold water to get scolded. The vanity still gives me that specific temp.

I am still baffled and I don't see a common sense answer to this issue.. Thanks for thinking with me.

Comment

Derviter

Turn your water off and remove the cover from your faucet and remove the hot water side cartridge and see if some dirt or gunk has gotten into the outlet to slow the amount of hot water from coming out.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Main mixing valve.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	87254 There is almost nothing to this valve and my guess is it has just one ball type flow-true thingie. I don't see anything like a cartridge on neither cold or hot side. Please see the picture.
                Last edited by johnyboy; 01-02-2014, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Conclusion:
                  My conclusion of this issue is that two things went wrong at the same moment. When I put the valve in the soldering must have caused the faucet the fail.

Taking apart the faucet was a challenge but together with this forum, Youtube video's I got it out. I did not see any issues with it.

I put the faucet back together (after greasing it up) and all works fine now.

I learned a lot THANK YOU ALL.

Comment

There ya go Mabscotthandyman hit the nail on the head....glad you got it fixed.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =