Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extremely low water pressure from well pump

Hello -

My mother has a well pump and has been complaining that the water pressure has gradually been getting lower so I decided to look at it. First thing that I noticed is that the pressure gauge is stuck on 20 PSI....it has yet to move after days. I released all the water from the tank and replaced the switch. No change. The switch is stuck with the contacts touching but the gauge does not move. What could this be? By banging on the tank, the bottom has a thug while the top is a hollow sound (That eliminates the tank right?) Is the well pump bad? How do I confirm this?

Thanks for your help

water

first of all replace the gauge to get an accurate display of pressure. a 0-160 lb gauge should be sufficient.
    you said you replaced the switch. which switch?? why did you replace the switch?
    do you have a vertical "goulds" tank? is there a schrader valve on top of the tank [ looks like a tire valve]
    a top valve means there is an air bladder inside the tank. it could have burst - you won't know unless the pump cycles on-off quite frequently.
    outlet pressure should be in the 40-45 lb range.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      first of all replace the gauge to get an accurate display of pressure. a 0-160 lb gauge should be sufficient.
      you said you replaced the switch. which switch?? why did you replace the switch?
      do you have a vertical "goulds" tank? is there a schrader valve on top of the tank [ looks like a tire valve]
      a top valve means there is an air bladder inside the tank. it could have burst - you won't know unless the pump cycles on-off quite frequently.
      outlet pressure should be in the 40-45 lb range.
      I will be picking up a new gauge today. I replaced the pressure switch thinking that it was "stuck" but it turns out that it was fine. Yes there is a valve at the top and I will be picking up a tire pressure gauge today as well to check the pressure inside. The contacts on the the switch stay touching and never switch as the pressure never goes up. The pump doesn't cycle on and off at all, it seems like it is on and pumps very little water was faucets are used. The bladder "sounds" good but I have no idea of the pressure reading inside. I'm at a loss on how to check the well pump outside.

Thanks for your help HayZee

Comment

pump

In the basement remove the inlet plastic pipe to the tank and start the pump. See how much water comes out. It should be of relatively high pressure.
        The other alternative would be to lift up on the pump and un hitch it off the fitting in the well casing. support it somehow and start the pump and see what comes out. Again it should be a forceful discharge.
        If there isn't then I would suspect either the pump itself, in the case of a multi-stage pump or a clogged or stuck foote valve.
        If it is the foote valve, the whole pump and pump line has to be removed from the casing. I have no idea how deep your well is, but all that discharge piope needs to be removed.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
          In the basement remove the inlet plastic pipe to the tank and start the pump. See how much water comes out. It should be of relatively high pressure.
          The other alternative would be to lift up on the pump and un hitch it off the fitting in the well casing. support it somehow and start the pump and see what comes out. Again it should be a forceful discharge.
          If there isn't then I would suspect either the pump itself, in the case of a multi-stage pump or a clogged or stuck foote valve.
          If it is the foote valve, the whole pump and pump line has to be removed from the casing. I have no idea how deep your well is, but all that discharge piope needs to be removed.

HayZee

I went outside to the well and I see that a rope is tied to something deep down there. I slightly yanked and it feels like it wouldn't budge even if I pulled hard. To pull this out and test it, would it require a machine and two people? Thanks again

Comment

pump

Consult with your building department to see when the pump was changed last and by whom.
            A permit is usually required for any domestic water equipment. You might try the company that drilled your well as well.
            They all keep records [or should be!]
            If there is a lot of silt being pumped up in the casing, it could be jamming your pump in the casing.
            Machinery can be used for real deep wells as the combined weight could be a problem.

Comment

It sounds like a homeowner put this submersible pump in. Pro's don't use rope. You either have a broken, cracked or pin holed pipe down the well. Or the pump ran dead head and nuked the impellers. If it happened slowly over time, chances are you have pinholes. However I don't know why anyone would use rope with galvanized pipe.

By changing the pressure switch, you may not have really accomplished anything unless you saw water coming out of the tube the switch connects too. Sulphur in water can sometimes completely cover up an opening in the pipp where that tubing connects and not allow the switch to see the pressure changes. If this hole covers over completely when the pump is running, it will keep running until it melts impellers.

Comment

Well pump rope....

SPeedbump....why not use a 'rope'? I replaced the pump at my last house three items in twenty five years. The directions said to use a poly rope attached to the cast eye provided for the pumps I installed. I used half inch poly. The first time, the pipe was rusted, but was sufficiently solid enough to pull the pump from fifty feet. The second time the pipe was rotted whereby it snapped at the pump! The third time PE was used and mandated the use of a poly rope for future removal.

Comment

Originally posted by mrcaptainbob View Post
                  SPeedbump....why not use a 'rope'? I replaced the pump at my last house three items in twenty five years. The directions said to use a poly rope attached to the cast eye provided for the pumps I installed. I used half inch poly. The first time, the pipe was rusted, but was sufficiently solid enough to pull the pump from fifty feet. The second time the pipe was rotted whereby it snapped at the pump! The third time PE was used and mandated the use of a poly rope for future removal.
                  When we pull a pump, if the pipe looks pitted, we replace it. If that rope ever came untied and fell down around the pump, which it will do, you would be drilling another well because you would never be able to get the pump to come out of the well. If the pump is hung on plastic, it should be at least SCH 80 PVC or 160 or better Poly. If you can't pull it with the SCH 80 or the 160 Poly, you will never pull it with a rope. The only people that recommend rope or torque arrestors are the Big Box stores.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Speedbump. Sure wish I was on this site back in 'those' days! I needed it more back then....

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =