Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	87895Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	87896
    Is the above installation done correctly? The PVC pipe that comes out of my ejector pump is cut at about a foot out and then held together by a rubber piece and two clamps. My neighbor has the same installation except that his pipe is a solid pipe without the cut until it reaches the threaded connector. I had a sewage backup when the piece that is connected by the clamps came undone. My plumber says that something heavy must have fallen against the pipe which caused it to shift, but the pump is in a utility room with nothing there that could have fallen against it. I'm not sure if my plumber is licensed and that's why I want to know if this installation was done correctly.

The rubber boot your seeing is called a "coupling"...(Fernco), basically it's used to join two sections of pipe together without glue (or where it's difficult to move the two pieces of pipe).
    The threaded object above it is the "check valve" it's job is to stop water pumped up the pipe from falling back down into the sump then the motor turns off (also stops backflow from the discharge area).
    Everything there looks okay as long as the screws are tight on the rubber boot and the check valve nuts are up firm as well.

Typically speaking when installed the boots are very difficult to "bump" apart even from anything falling on them, I'd hazard a guess that one of the screws was never done up correctly OR most likely the pipe was cut too short to fit correctly into each side of the rubber boot, the pipe should insert into each side of the boot a min. of 1".

While i think about it, just check to make sure the pump in the sump is actually sitting on something not dangling by that boot.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Not being able to see the pump in your picture, the pipes don't line up. If they are both rigid, and the Fernco fitting was just barely on the pipe, the pipes trying to go back to where they are now could have eventually popped it loose.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =