Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking Water Heater

At the top where the outlet is, water has been pooling for a couple of weeks now. Finally got around to it and replaced some of the CPVC pipe and a Di-electric nipple. Looked like it held for most of yesterday, but then another pool of water showed up. At this point I am assuming there is some type of seal where the threaded part of the outlet is the cause of the leak. I CANNOT afford to buy another one until next year and do not want this water to start rusting the outside of the tank or enter where the exhaust gases escape. Is there some type of sealant that I can use to patch this that will not only provide a water tight seal but able to withstand the heat? I have already looked online and been to my local DIY shop and no answer. Help me to do a cheap fix to get my family by through this Fall/Winter. Thanks.

the threads of both the hot water and cold water inlet/outlet are standard tapered 3/4 inch pipe thread. why are you using a dielectric nipple? if your inlet and outlet is CPVC you don't need a nipple of this flavor. if your whole piping system was galvanized or copper then, yes, it would be justified.
    as far as sealants, get a small can of RECTORSEAL. there's a brush in the cap. this stuff is used on gas lines and domestic water.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      the threads of both the hot water and cold water inlet/outlet are standard tapered 3/4 inch pipe thread. why are you using a dielectric nipple? if your inlet and outlet is CPVC you don't need a nipple of this flavor. if your whole piping system was galvanized or copper then, yes, it would be justified.
      as far as sealants, get a small can of RECTORSEAL. there's a brush in the cap. this stuff is used on gas lines and domestic water.
      I am just using what was already on the hot water heater. I am ignorant to things that I have never done before and I get advice either onilne or at the home stores. That is why I used them in replacement on what was already there. The nipple was a very old fashioned type of heat transfer nipple and it was connectred to another galvanized cap, then threaded onto CPVC. There was a set of heat transfer nipples at the store for twice what I paid for the standard di-electric, so that is why I got them. As far as the sealant goes, I will try to look this up online and in stores to help me. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =