Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about changing out the toilet.

This is my first big home project so I'm trying to learn as I go.
    I'm changing out the toilet in our bathroom and redoing the floor. When I pulled the toilet up, the original flange was all rotted and broken so I ripped it up.

What I was left with was some sort of gasket?? Here is a pic: i.imgur.com/rpldFKM.jpg (sorry you'll have to copy and paste it b/c it won't let me post a URL)
    I couldn't fit the new flange I bought around it so I ended up having to cut the top part out: Another pic: i.imgur.com/bX7Sn4I.jpg
    It looks like it goes over the pipe and is glued on there pretty good.

My questions:
    1) What is this gasket thing actually called and what do I look for to buy another one?
    2) When I get a new one, what do I use to seal it properly? Caulk?
    3) Is there a way to get the rest of it off? Like I said it's glued over the pipe.
    4) Any other suggestions on best practices and what to do?

they make a flange that is hinged in one place. you spread it out then install it around whatever pipe flange is there. you use stainless steel screws and screw it to the floor. you orientate the flange so that the squared holes are at the ten o'clock and five o'clock position. now screw it down. two brass closet bolts with a square head goes into the square flange holes and you pull it around to the 9 & 3 o'clock position. then you put down a beeswax ring [gasket] on the flange. line up the holes on the toilet and place so that the closet flange bolt threads come through the openings in the porcelain. now press down with your full weight on the toilet bowl rocking side to side. lastly, install an oblong washer and nut on each closet bolt. wrench down but not too tight or you'll crack the porcelain. now finish your tank and seat.
    Last edited by HayZee518; 09-26-2014, 01:16 PM.

Comment

It's called a "closet flange" and should glue over the existing pipe 3" or 4" whatever you have (should be 4") if you use an open hacksaw and on the flange part put a cut in ONLY the flange section, do this at 12 ...3....6...and 9, from there with a pair of of channel locks you should be able to grab and peel off the cut sections of the old flange. Your looks like it's glued on the inside so your cuts will be from the interior DO NOT cut the pipe, ONLY the flange section.
      The new flange MUST sit on top of whatever finished flooring your using, so it goes back on last even if your tiling, so depending on your finished flooring choice you might have to add a small length of pipe to make the length a little longer.
      The new flange will glue on with PVC/ABS glue (assuming that pipe is plastic)
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. Put the floor down last night and this was very useful.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =