Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything is Awful, What Do?

Hello. I ran out of luck with trying to find an solution online, so I thought the best bet is to just ask myself. I have probably the worst situation possible in the basement. I have a leaky pipe that's been left for wayyyy too long thanks to my parents, and now my basement is flooded with black water (I believe it's black water, as it is black after all) and recently oil. My parents are still ignoring this shit even though the water heater turned off due to the flood. To make matters worse, the black water now has a layer of ice covering under it, which is stopping my parents from working on it at all.

I guess my question would be the best way to get ice out of a basement. We do have a pump to pump the water out, and the pipe shouldn't be that big of a deal. The only thing stopping the work is the ice.

Is there a service to take care of ice by any chance?

Originally posted by breadslices View Post
    Hello. I ran out of luck with trying to find an solution online, so I thought the best bet is to just ask myself. I have probably the worst situation possible in the basement. I have a leaky pipe that's been left for wayyyy too long thanks to my parents, and now my basement is flooded with black water (I believe it's black water, as it is black after all) and recently oil. My parents are still ignoring this shit even though the water heater turned off due to the flood. To make matters worse, the black water now has a layer of ice covering under it, which is stopping my parents from working on it at all.

I guess my question would be the best way to get ice out of a basement. We do have a pump to pump the water out, and the pipe shouldn't be that big of a deal. The only thing stopping the work is the ice.

Is there a service to take care of ice by any chance?
    Wow, never happened before, eventhough our basement has flooded many a times before, but ice NO. I would look ways to melt the ice or break it, and work with the pump. If you are looking for better answers, go for a good basement water proofing and plumbing service in your region, say someone like Doctor Rooter in Mississauga.

Comment

This situation is a health hazard if this is sewage, most municipalities will condemn a dwelling and revoke the certificate of occupancy, meaning you will have to leave if this is not repaired, to address this you need a professional with pumps and repair personnel. But if the owners are unwilling to hire a professional, a call to the authorities should get some attention as they normally send an inspector and if its a health hazard remove the occupants immediately. This needs to be taken care of, If you do it yourself, repair the pipe immediately so it does not get worse, buy a set of rubber boots and pump out what you can. Start breaking the ice up and haul it out too. the longer it is ignored the worse it gets.
      Last edited by akaothermick; 03-10-2015, 09:40 AM.

Comment

which pipe is leaking? is it a large black cast iron pipe? how does it run? from the floor up a wall to the attic?
        if the pipe is cracked then you'll need to replace the section with abs plastic and fernco couplings.
        for the ice break it up with a sledge hammer and take the pieces out. for the water use a sump pump or get a sludge pump and pump out the grey water.
        if you replace the pipe you may need to support the upper section(s) or the whole thing will slide into the basement.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =