Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

replacing a bathroom sink aerator: understanding male/female connectors and quality

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing a bathroom sink aerator: understanding male/female connectors and quality

Hi, I'm new here, and quite an amateur, but this is probably the most basic plumbing question you will ever encounter! I have to purchase a new aerator for my bathroom sink. I would like to buy a swivel type. The thread on the spout is a female 55/64 X 27 Thread. In other words, I need to put in a male connector that fits into a Female 55/64. Would this be called a Male 55/64?

My confusion is how to word what it is I am looking for. Do I search for a Male 55/64 (the size I need) or a female 55/64 (the size it needs to fit into.) As a rule, when a particular aerator states it's size, is it saying the size that it is, or the size it needs to fit into? It seems that I will have to buy an adapter. Again, will the adapter be describing it's own 2 sizes, or the two sizes of the hardware it is meant to link??

I am not particular what brand makes the thing. Is there a site that explains the quality of different materials? I just don't want to buy something that is going to peel, or strip too easily or some other type of junk, but I don't need anything that is made for its decorative value.

It seems that what I need is not very common. If anyone can recommend a retail source for such hardware, I would appreciate it. Most of my searches are bringing me to wholesale plumbing suppliers. They are probably showing up because they SELL to retail outlets. Other searches are resulting in a list of links to specific brand names, each of which then offer to help me to find out who carries their line. I am not looking for a specific brand, so this is very frustrating! Maybe if I can narrow down the male/female thing, and I clearly understand exactly what I'm looking for, I can then find out what brand or manufacturer makes this size aerator, or the specific adaptor that I need and search that way. Walking into random hardware/plumbing supply stores is wasting my time, because they each carry a limited supply, mostly of the most common sizes. They would need to carry a swivel aerator that isn't too long (my sink is rather shallow), and then the exact adapter I would need to connect that piece to my spout. The most highly stocked place in my area did not have a connector that fit my spout to any swivel aerator that they had. And they had a least 10 connectors! That is why I have resorted to the web...

thank you all!
    Last edited by abaly123; 02-16-2015, 07:09 PM. Reason: additional details

Bathroom faucets for the most part accommodate male aerators, which is the term you are looking for, they are indeed common, and available in numerous style and finishes, swivel aerators protrude more and will take up more room and generally are not fitted in shallow bowls. But if you desire to fit one, a gender changer will be needed which also increases its length. If you really want a swivel, a new high neck faucet should be fitted to gain more room. That would be the only option available

Comment

Working...
    X
    =