Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Shower

Ok so before I start I need to make it clear I know nothing of home repair. Period. So here I go:

Back in May of 2006 we moved into my grandmother's house where I was raised. The shower in question looked normal except for a small (maybe 2" across) stain on the wall behind the toilet. Over the years it got bigger and now has turned into a hole behind the toilet into the space under it. The molding is black and rotted. I am told that this is caused by a leak from a remodeling (so called) back around 1998 when the the tub in the other bathroom was replaced. Seems something was left leaking. Why it wasn't fixed IDK.

The shower itself has two main problems: (1) I think the supports or whatever hold it up are rotting cause the water drains on end but no the other. The shower is leaking on the inside of the wall. The panel or what ever it is is bent outward and the caulking and whatever is behind comes out into the shower floor at times. There is a .5" now between the shower floor itself and the wall where the head. I guess caused by the leaking showerhead and the support weakening. (2) There is some kind of residue from its' installation. It doesn't wipe off. There are pics attached. It is located all thru the shower except the floor. It was like this when we came and it hasn't gotten worse or better.

So questions are (1) Can the shower be leveled off? (2) Should I fix this "leak"? I can't really fix the rotted wood or whatever (3) What is the strange stuff in the shower and where did it come from?Click image for larger version

Name:	102_8426.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	87973Click image for larger version

Name:	102_8427.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	87974

The damage you see is probably "just the tip of the iceberg" behind that wall is most likely a lot of damage from a leak that has just been ignored, yes they never fix themselves and left unchecked do a lot of damage. Nobody saved any money by just letting it go because its going to to cost allot more to fix now than had the leak been repaired promptly, You need to remove the shower trim and cut the wall out to take a look at just what needs to be done. Best call in a plumber because this sounds like you might be in over your head, given your lack experience in home repair, but if you have a second bathroom, you could jump in and give it a shot. Otherwise you need it done quickly and a proffesional is your best bet.
    Last edited by akaothermick; 03-13-2015, 07:41 PM.

Comment

the brown stains on the tub surround indicate a leak in the plumbing system. Probably given the age of the house, leaking galvanized pipes.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =