Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toilet problems

Ok lets see f I can make any sense here... ha ha

Our 2nd floor toilet has been acting funny; sometimes it fills up fine and flushes fine- and other times it will fill up to the right level- only to have the water in the bowl almost drain out completely.. sometimes it will do this right away and other times it takes a good while, like overnight. We recently replaced the old vinyl floor with new vinyl and when we did we checked the floor for any leakage/wet spots and did not see ANY. The sub floor is in good condition. The toilet was also rocking alitle with the old flooring but now its very stable- doesnt budge..
    We also replaced the wax ring when we reinstalled the toilet and my father replaced the tank mechanisms (dont know what they are called)... And yet we STILL have this problem.. oh- the toilet also seems to keep refilling alot- and it did this before the new floor was installed. We also checked the pipes for cracks and did not find any....

The toilet on the first floor is running pretty normal with the occassional re-filling noise. Both toilets are very old- if I had to guess I would say atleast 30 yrs old.

I have also been noticing a stale,[xx(] "gross" smell and was wondering what that could be. Could it be sewage gases from the vent pipe?

I am starting to think that i just need to get a new toilet- then I will have to deal with not being able to find a matching color to the sink & tub... you know they just dont make them old colors anymore... [:I]

ANY & ALL help is GREATLY appreciated!! [:X]

** I also have a post under HVAC if anyone could help me with that too!!** THANKS!

You could replace the mechanics in the tank. I bet that would help and save you the cost of a new toilet. As for the bad smell, that sounds bad. You shouldn't smell anything if the toilet is secured.

Todd

Comment

I think you might have a blocked vent/stench pipe this would account for the water draining away on its own. Air must enter to equalize out the partial vacuum created when the sewers run. The toilet that keeps filling up by itself is due to a worn flapper (the "plug that open when you flush) these are easy to replace and only cost a few dollars. Hold off on the new toilet until the vent pipe has been checked.

Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =