Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocking Toilet

My husband replaced the wax ring in our toilet a few months back because it was leaking. The leaking stopped, but the toilet rocks terribly. It rocked before he replaced the ring, but not quite this badly. The bolts on the side (sorry, I don't know the terminology [:I])will not tighten any further. I have put the little plastic wedges under the toilet, but the gap is so large that they don't help. What's up with my toilet? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

quote:Originally posted by selancas

My husband replaced the wax ring in our toilet a few months back because it was leaking. The leaking stopped, but the toilet rocks terribly. It rocked before he replaced the ring, but not quite this badly. The bolts on the side (sorry, I don't know the terminology [:I])will not tighten any further. I have put the little plastic wedges under the toilet, but the gap is so large that they don't help. What's up with my toilet? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    It sounds like you need a floor to support your toilet,it'll keep wearing out wax rings,rocking,and eventually leaking until the floor is repaired

Comment

It sounds like your floor flange (the ring the bolts attach to) is pround of the floor. Either call a plumber to lower the flange (expensive) OR use a board of flooring grade plywood to raise the surround floor to match the flange. I've used the latter a couple of times and when either covered with lino or painted it doesnt look too bad. If you're handy with a jigsaw you could cut the board to match the shape of the bowel bottom.

Good Luck.

Comment

It could also be a broken flange. The john bolts might not be holding to it.

Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!
        <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

When the toilet was reset either, it was not set squarely and rocks on the rim of the flange, or the toilet or the floor are not quite level. If it was not set properly I suggest resetting it as it will develop a leak and slowly rot the floor and subfloor out. If it just rocks a little it is more likely an uneven floor or closet. In this case shim the toilet using metal lead or Plastic even wood shims to make it not rock. Good Luck!

German Dude

Comment

is your only bathroom? if not and if the toilet only rocks a little heres another Idea you might try.
            "all purpose" water base caulk, use it to fill the voids around the base of the toilet it should stop your rocking. for 2 reasons.
            first because the caulk will act as a shim and second because once dry it will act like a glue holding the toilet in place. it will take atleast 24-48 hours for the caulk to set so this option wont work too well for a one bath home . good luck TAZ
            nuthing like being woken up at 12:AM to unstop some one elses toilet.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =