Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Icemaker Problem

My icemaker leaves green/blue residue in the ice. I can only guess that this is due to a bad connection somewhere in the source of water. Piping is all copper, but I noticed by looking under refrigerator that the connection valve from the main copper pipe to the copper tubing is chrome. Does that work the same as copper to galvanized. Also, since that is so close to the refrigerator, would that explain the green/blue residue constantly in the ice. Finally, would replacing the chrome valve with brass fix my problem or are my copper pipes and tubes ruined - is the oxidation on both sides of the chrome valve? Thanks for any help.

Richard

Welcome to the Home Repair Forums

The green blue residue you speak of is common on copper lines that leak, For what reason I do not know. It would be advisable to replace the connection with a quality valve that goes to 1/4 inch compression for the line to the Ice maker. I would also flush that line out to remove and left over build up. The brass connection at the fill valve should be removed and the screen inside the valve cleaned. You do not have to take the valve apart to do this.

Good luck

16x80

Comment

I can think of a number or reason for green-blue residue.

One is hard water deposits. If you have hard water you may wish to consider a water softener.

Another is acidic water. If you have acidic water you will get more dissolution of copper from the pipes and also a greater tendancy for a dielectric union to form between dissimilar metals.

The last one is mold or mildew in the pipes. Not wholly uncommon if you have unchlorinated well water.

Luck...

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. As for a leak, I have not found one. I have heard about the oxidation that occurs from connecting dissimilar metals (ie copper to chrome). So my question is - can the chrome to copper be the source of the green blue stuff. If so, will replacing the valve with brass be sufficient to solve the problem or are the copper pipe and tubes contaminated and doomed to produce the stuff. If so, I suppose that I would need to replace the tubing and the copper pipe...Thanks again.

quote:Originally posted by 16x80

Richard

Welcome to the Home Repair Forums

The green blue residue you speak of is common on copper lines that leak, For what reason I do not know. It would be advisable to replace the connection with a quality valve that goes to 1/4 inch compression for the line to the Ice maker. I would also flush that line out to remove and left over build up. The brass connection at the fill valve should be removed and the screen inside the valve cleaned. You do not have to take the valve apart to do this.

Good luck

16x80

Comment

"So my question is - can the chrome to copper be the source of the green blue stuff. If so, will replacing the valve with brass be sufficient to solve the problem or are the copper pipe and tubes contaminated and doomed to produce the stuff. "

Simple answer: "YES". Chrome to copper 'can' be the source of the green blue stuff...."NO", replacing the valve with another metal will not help.

If a dielectric union is the cause of your green chunks, then placing a different metal against the copper will only continue the same dielectric union.

To STOP a dielectric union you must use a completely different material such a PVC plastic as a union between the 2 dissimilar metals.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =