Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVC Waste Pipe Repair

I have a 3" PVC waste pipe in the basement that hase a leak. Naturally, the basement is finished and the pipe is behind drywall inside a small closet. The pipe is running vertical from the slab up. I have cut through the drywall to see what I can of the pipe, but the leak appears to be at just above ceiling level where I cannot really get a good look. Right at the ceiling level, there is a Y with a 2" pipe and above that, another Y with another 2" pipe. Then, above that Y, there is a 90 deg for the 3" pipe to go horizontal (I think to a toilet). There are a couple more 2" pipes feeding into the mess there also. The Ys and 90 deg all happen with with almost no space between, so cutting out anything would seem to entail replacing everything from the 90 deg down past the Ys.

I am hoping that there is some sort of glue/cement/sealant that can be used to seal the crack so I do not have to cut everything out and try to replace it. If not, what are my options since I have very limited space and a lot of pipes to bring back together??

Appreciate any advice anyone can provide.

tck

I had a similar leak in one of my waste lines very close to the Y - ninety situation. What I did, because I didn't want to remove everything, like you, was to take a pvc fitting, a tee or elbow or whatever and cut the hub off the fitting with a bandsaw, then cut an arc off it so it almost snaps around the pvc pipe. Then I cleaned off the "fix" with solvent cleaner and the pipe and used pvc cement with solids in it and slopped it all over the pipe and snapped the "fix" over the crack. Held it in place until the glue set up and the leak was repaired.

Comment

Hayzee
      Thanks for the info. I will see if I can get a piece to go over the area. Is PVC cement with solids a special type of the PVC cement?

Comment

Same type but it has suspended particles in it. The stuff I had was blue in color.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =