Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dripping bathroom faucet

My bathroom faucet constantly has a running drip. There is one lever only for both hot and cold water. No matter how tight I try to close the handle, there is still a drip.

Do I need to change the entire faucet, or will replacing the airator do the trick?

Steve :

The aerator has nothing to do with a drip. You need to replace something internal. It could be a complete cartridge, it could be some sort of seat. No matter what, it is something which is usually easy to do. First step is to turn off the hot and cold water beneath the sink. Then tell us what brand the faucet is , or take some pics of the handle and the faucet with handle removed. We can then offer further advice.

Comment

I am no expert, just worked in a hardware store and a homeowner. People used to come in and be afraid of our wall of cartridges. But you don't have to be!
      Just turn off your water under the sink, remove your sink handle (sounds like it is the type that has a set screw at the back that requires an allen wrench), unscrew the top once the handle is lifted off and pull out the old catridge. Take it to your local hardware/plumbing company and match it up. there are guys there (even young kids like me) that are paid to know what you need. If not, most companies that sell the cartridges want you to find the right one so they have little guages and a book to help you pick out the right one. Just follow the simple measurements on that display stand/book and it will give you the number you need. Find that number hanging on the peg, grab some silicone lube, and head home. Follow the directions of where to put silicone and slide the cartridge back in. In my experience they normally will only fit one way (dont force it), but just look for markings. Once you have it back in, screw the top back on tight and turn on the water slowly to make sure everything is the way it should be. I leave the handle off since you can move the arm by hand most of the time. If water comes out (hot when moved to one side, cold the other) then turn it off, put your handle back on, and you are done. The cost of those cartridges ranged from a few bucks to about $20. Won't break the bank and you can finally get some sleep without hearing that darn drip.

Hope it helps, if not I know at least two guys here that can.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =