Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Vs Electric Water Heater

Hello Again. Im sure you've all read my last post about the exploding water heater, so now its time for a new one. While shopping around I've noticed I can get a 50 gallon Electric for about $100 less than a 40 gallon Gas. Being that the only thing in my house that is gas is the water heater this has been really interesting. Now I know that a gas heater would heat faster and probably cost around the same yearly as the electric, but I think I might get an incentive rebate from my electric company for switching (going to check now).

It just seems right to safer to switch over from that 20+ year old gas line to an already existing 220 circuit. Now we have all baseboard heating in our house with 220 dryer and stove. There is one room(front porch) that we dont even have the heaters connected because of a bad thermostat. If we were not going to use that circuit do you think I could just run that line to the water heater. It already is on its own circuit, and was used to run 2 8' baseboard heaters.

Would that be too much of a load on the breaker box in the winter, or would there be any difference compared to running the baseboard? Also would there be any extra costs that I would have to consider for the electric?
    Please help, we're going tomorrow to buy one or the other.
    Thx Again
    Chris

Water heater......

I have an electric water heater that I installed a few years ago. ALong with that, I also installed a heat exchanger on the side of it that's hooked in line with the hot water baseboard main circuit. It takes a load off the electric when the furnace is pumping the hot water.

Comment

Just wanted to say Thankx for all the help you guys have been. I just upgraded to a 50 gal Electric and all is working great!

Thanks Chris

Comment

Working...
      X
      =