Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceiling Leak

When the Jacuzzi in the MBR is turned on, there is a leak from the cieling right above the dining room, forming a patch of soccer ball. The patch is noticed in the basement cieling too, right below the dining room.
    1)How bad this can be and is it a major repair?
    2)Should I be really concerned

Steve,

Welcome to the forum,

If the tub only leaks when the jets are in use and not when the tub is used for soaking then the leak would appear to be the the seal on one of the return pipes from the pump. If it is where the jet enters the tub you may be able to remove the jet from inside the tub, apply a sealant and reassemble.

If the tub was installed with a removable access panel then you should be able to look under the tub and see the drip and hopefully get to it. You may have to lift the tub out of its platform if you do not have an access panel or the drip is not reachable from it. Depending on the method of securing the tub and the finishes used around it this could be easy and cheap or really difficult and lots of $'s.

Water leaks left alone will cause serious damage to the structure of the house and also provide a great area for mold and mildew to grow. I would get this taken care of ASAP.

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
    'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Another way to tackle this is to cut a hole in the ceiling where the leak is. (the sheetrock probably needs replacement anyway). From there you can see where the water is coming from. It will most likely be a broken waste pipe/trap (Tub) or the pressure pipes that feed the jets (Jacuzzi).

'....Question: ".....can I get a rough estimate over the phone to rewire my house?" ...' Answer: "Somewhere between one thousand and twenty thousand".
      <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

Working...
      X
      =