Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet Fills Very Slow

My upstairs toilet flushes normally, and then takes forever to refill?? Any suggestions??

The pipes may be clogged slightly

Comment

You need to take a closer look. Remove the top cover, pull down the toilet seat and sit down confortably. Now, flush it. Watch the water level go down. The flapper will go up when you flush and go down when the level is low.

The bowl is fill up from the filler tube. You should hear water coming in and see water coming in. Right? The water must be coming in slowly instead of strong. Is the inlet valve fully open? That is the valve you have to turn counterclockwise which let water into the bowl. Its located outside of the toilet, down below where the water pipe comes in from the wall.

If fully open, then its something else. Check the flapper. This is the flat red rubber thingy that I mentioned goes up and down to let water out. Is it sealing properly? How do you know that? Its hard. But if it is old and worn out, its time to change it. It may or may not be the problem.

If the problem is within the filler tube, then, I can not help you much. If you think its there, maybe, you can replace the whole toilet flush mechanism. I did three of my toilet with one I bought from the local hardware store. Cost about $10 each. Installation is not that hard. You just need some common sense. Like turning off the main water supply first.

Comment

Toilet tips

Toilet won't stop running

First, check the lift chain. If there's too much slack, then it may be getting caught under the flapper.

Next, check the ball and float arm. These control the water cut-off. If the ball is leaking or caught on something inside the tank, it may not cut the water off properly. Test by lifting the ball slightly. If the water stops, then bend the float arm gently so the ball strikes the water a little lower in the tank. If your float arm is plastic, you won't want to try to bend it. You should have an adjustment screw near the overflow tube, at the end of the float arm. Use it to adjust the ball's level.

Also check the ball to make sure it isn't leaking. Unscrew it from the float arm and check for water inside. If it's leaking, it will need to be replaced.

Finally, check the flapper. If it's worn, it may be allowing water to seep into the toilet. Drain the tank and unhook old flapper from overflow tube. Replace with a new flapper and allow the tank to refill.

essortment.com/in/Home.Repair/index
        Last edited by luvr29; 02-06-2007, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =