Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any advice on curbless or barrier free shower use and construction?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any advice on curbless or barrier free shower use and construction?

Hello, I am not sure this is the correct forum for this question, so I trust the moderator will move it as necessary. The question is "does anyone have experience with curbless showers?" I am building an addition for our daughter that includes a curbless or barrier free shower. Our permit was taken out as an ADA shower which has other than the normal 2 inch curb requirement. This all started when our daughter stayed in a motel in Oregon (where we live) that had a curbless shower. That is what she wants. No ramp, curbless. We have framed the shower floor for a 4 inch drop, and it is 4 x4 feet. My understanding of the ADA specifications is that a 3x3 (which is the absolute minimum) can have a maximum curb of 1/2 inch. If the drain is in the exact center and the slope is 1/4 inch per foot it looks like I can meet that requirement. I have reconciled that I will have to tile the shower walls and pan to achieve this as both the fiberglass units, and the cultured marble pans have a 3/4 inch curb. If we could afford it we would tile the whole bathroom and make it one big waterproof room, but that is not an option. How practical is the scenario I have described? Are we setting ourselves up for a continuously water damaged floor outside the opening? Any personal experience, and advice would be appreciated, both regarding use and construction. Thanks, Bill (Dukes)

Hi Dukes,

I can't answer your question, but welcome to the forum. I'm in Oregon too.

--Scott

Comment

curbless shower areas I have seen mostly in schools and spas. the shower pan isn't flexible vinyl as is most custom stalls but soldered copper sheeting. and the area outside of the shower is all tile with a floor drain. between the stall and the outside area is a small curb - 1/2 to 3/4 inch as you describe and the pitch seems right.

Comment

Hello, Thanks for the reply Hayzee, I guess my biggest unknown is the floor outside the 4x4 foot shower footprint. I have gathered quite a bit of information for the shower pan itself, mostly from the John Bridge forum. For the 4x4 shower proper I was considering 3 options. I had not considered copper, and I actually have enough copper sheet left over from another project. I will have to research that now. Before you mentioned copper I thought I had 3 choices. 1. Layers of asphalt roofing paper, hot mopped with tar, built up with mud. 2..PVC vinyl built up with mud and using a clamp type drain. 3. The system advocated by John Bridge which is the Kerdi membrane system which uses a glue-on drain, preformed corners and edges. This appears to be a very good system, but also the most expensive, and may have the disadvantage of having to educate, and solicit approval of my local building inspector. I am more immediately concerned with a plan for the rest of the bathroom. To tile the entire bathroom floor I estimate about $750 to 900 in materials. My labor is free, and my son in law's is reasonable. Vinyl would be good, but how do I make a waterproof joint with the tile of the shower floor? Should I even try to make a vinyl-tile merge with the probable water splash from under the shower curtain? Thanks, Bill (Dukes)

Comment

p.s. Thanks for the welcome Skeezix! Bill (Dukes)

Comment

Working...
          X
          =