Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing elements in a Kenmore Powermiser water heater

Hopefully, this is the correct forum for this question.

We have a Kenmore Power Miser hot water heater that was installed in 1989. Its capacity is just under 60 gallons.

We've been running out of hot water after showers, and the red warning light comes on, which is an indicator that there is not enough hot water to shower or run the dishwasher.

I tried testing the elements, but wasn't able to determine much about them. It's easy to believe that the bottom element is bad. There is no evidence that either element has ever been replaced.

I bought the replacement elements and a wrench designed to remove the old ones. Trouble is, I've just about torn the wrench up, and the elements won't budge. I have a large 1.5" open-end and box wrench that fit on the element, but I've not been able to get the elements to budge.

Is it safe to use a product like PB Blaster or Deep Creep to loosen things up? I don't want to ruin the tank or contaminate its insides.

Is there a way to get these out without damaging the water heater tank? I'm willing to break rules, such as hitting the wrench with a ball peen hammer, or arranging to borrow an air compressor and impact wrench.

Any assistance or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    -Bill
    William Killeffer
    East Ridge, TN

you can try using a penetrating oil to loosen up the rust, but if the element's really tight you may have to bite the bullet and buy a new hot water tank.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =