Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom fixtures corroding

I have something weird happening. I have to bathrooms back to back. In the bathroom that gets the most use the fixtures are fine. The other bath that is primarily used as my wife's makeup bathroom the fixtures are all corroded. The sinks tailpieces, escution plates & the toilets supply & escution plate is corroded. The same cleaning stuff is used on both. The humidity is kept where it should be. I have very good vent fans that are ran when required. Please let me know what your thoughts are.

Thank you,
    Fred

Dumb question, but do the fixtures in both rooms have the same finish, and do they get cleaned about as often? If neither of those is different, maybe some spray (or vapor/fume) is affecting a protective coating. (It's a W.A.G. but it's the best I can think of at the mo.)

Comment

Yes they are all Moen fixtures all cleaned the same way. They are all about thirteen years old. The ones that get the most use are the ones that are looking the newest. Really strange!

Thanks for helping,
      Fred

Comment

something like it

When I first moved into my house the fixtures in one tub (spout, overflow plate, handles, etc...) were severely corroded but that was because there was a slow leak that the previous owners had never bothered to fix. My area of the country (upstate NY) also has problems with "hard" water and other contaminants in the water that, when left on the fixtures over a long period of time rotted them.

Replaced them, got a water softener and fixed the leaks (had to replace all three stems) and there are no more problems in that regard.

EDIT: Thinking about it, while the spout and plate were very bad, the handles weren't that bad. I think what had happened was that the stem for the diverter (middle handle) had a worn washer so it didn't close completely(the other stems were bad also) and the drip it created would leak out of the spout, run along the underside of the spout, as it was angled in that direction, get to the wall and then drop off right onto the overflow plate.
        Like I said, over time it badly degraded the underside of the spout and the plate.
        Last edited by dkpbxman; 02-19-2007, 06:13 PM.
        Dan

Comment

Working...
        X
        =