Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basement shower leaks at the drain

I know exactly where the leak is comming from and it's not between the drain flange and the pipe. It is between the drain flange and the shower pan. I've got an idea on how to fix it but want something more professional.

Somehow over the course of 3 years or so, the nut on the bottom of the pan that connects to the flange has loosened and no matter what I try it wont tighten up. So the flange moves back and forth and will spin. I need this shower and I don't want to tear it out to fix it. I need your ideas on my best options.

Thanks a lot
    JAWZ

The basket uses a piece of plumbers putty rolled into a rope like piece and is put under the flange of the basket and is pushed into the shower pan hole, next comes a rubber gasket and a metal follower ring. Next comes the 3 inch or so, plastic or metal nut and is tightened to squish the plumbers putty down to seal the shower pan. The basket must be held with a basket wrench or the slots inside will be deformed. This should seal your leaks.

Comment

Any tips on getting to it without taking it out? The pan had about an 1 1/2" lip around it and so I screwed it to the studs and now the plastic wall panels are there, I would have to totally dismantle the shower and I'm really not wanting to do that, I don't even know if I could do it nicely since the wall panels are attached with liquid nails. Is there any other way of doing it?

As of right now my idea is to glue the flange in place so it doesn't move and then put a smooth bead of caulk around the flange. I know it's not the right way but not comming up with a better way.

It makes me mad since when I replaced the shower 3 years ago I was going to glue that nut to the bottom of the pan to keep it from moving. If I'd have done that I could just screw the flange out and put new putty in there and screw it back down.

JAWZ

Any other ideas? Keep them comming. Thanks.

Comment

if the pan and the drain fitting are both pvc, then you might be able to solvent "weld" them together using a solvent based abs, pvc cement. get the one that is clear [with solids] in it. Other than that, a clear or white silicone caulking, you might be able to seal it if you apply it to the flange with the gun, then use your finger to push the silicone under the flange, and finally finish with another bead around the flange. If you moisten your finger and then spread the caulk around, it won't stick to your finger.

Comment

I never thought about using pvc cement. That is a really good idea.

As for moistening your finger before touching caulk, what works even better is putting lotion on your hands first. It wipes off perfect, you do need to reapply the lotion often.

So far the pvc cement is the idea I'm going with unless something better gets suggested. I'm not going to do it until tomorrow.

JAWZ

Comment

Ok, so I went to the store to get the PVC cement and I ended up getting something else that I thought might work a bit better unless one of you tell me that it wont.

I got Marine Epoxy paste it bonds seals and fills and is good for fiberglass and hard plastics. What do you think??

JAWZ

Comment

if you can get it to bond both pieces then I'd go with it.

Comment

Just wanted to post an update. I used the epoxy and it worked great. Sticky stuff to work with so good thing that it closely matches the shower floor and it's hard as a rock. Thanks HayZee for your help and if it wasn't for your suggestion I wouldn't have been in the area and came across this.
                JAWZ

Comment

Working...
                X
                =