Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new guy here: sump pumps fail to click on

I've got a problem, I've got a pit where water fills up in my basement so the basement doesn't flood. It's been fine for years. About one month ago, the damn thing just didn't kick on. First time ever. And because it didn't come on, the basement got quite a bit of water in it. What a pain in the ass. No biggie... I bought a new one. All better.

Until three days ago, where the NEW one stopped, just like the old one. WTF? So, I put them both in. Yes, I have two sump pumps in one pit. Last night, both of those things didn't kick on. So, more water in the basement. Weeeee!

What happens, is the pump is like that in a toilet, but in reverse. When the water level gets so high, the pump turns on and dumps it out. Problem is, this one won't turn on every few times, which means I'm screwed. If it rises so high, but clicks and doesn't turn on, it won't ever.... since the water keeps rising, the pump doesn't get a new chance to click again. Then I'm screwed.

What's wrong here? I replaced the "new" one with another today at Home Depot. The "new one" had some sludgy sort of oily crap on it. So I wonder if they're getting clogged.

Loooooong story short, anyone have this problem where they stop working? Is this getting clogged up, and as a safety feature, it isn't turning on? Help!

the new sump pumps operate off a diaphragm switch and pressure. the old ones had a float and an external switch. if the inlet to the diaphragm switch gets clogged (i.e. sludge & crap) it won't start because the water pressure isn't getting to the diapragm. try surrounding the pump with 1/4" square hardware cloth (screen)

Comment

This is a Ridgid 500 series pump. I believe it has the floater on it as well.... I'm almost positive it has nothing to do with water pressure. When the floater gets to a certain height, the unit turns on.

Comment

SP500 Sump Pump

I went to the site and looked at the pump. You're right its a switch model. OK it's listed as a submersible pump which tells me the switch HAS to be a magnetic reed switch because any submersible can't have exposed contacts. Gently take apart the switch and see what's keeping it from making contact. Maybe there's some gunk between the magnet and the reed switch.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =