• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help

Sir,
    I am a new member to this great & informative forum. I need help
    from anyone, due to my problem.
    I am working on & installing a new shoe rack, on the process of
    drilling on the dry wall; I accidentally hit the PVC drain pipe (vertical)
    coming from the second floor,connected to the sink,tub.
    Now, I want to fix the hole (1/4) inch but I dont know how to do
    it and what is the best glue to use.
    I would really appreciate anyone who can help me, so I can use
    my bathroom.
    Thank you very much in advance for the assistance.
    Regards,
    Wayne

there's two ways you can do this. a two-part epoxy adhesive/sealant or a small pvc patch with solvent cement for pvc piping. with the epoxy just mix the proper proportions and apply. cut a small piece of pvc from a scrap of pipe, apply the solvent cement to both where the hole is and the patch and place over the hole and hold it in place for a few minutes. the solvent cement will "weld" the patch to the pipe.

Comment

The quick "professional" reply is that you should open the wall, cut out the damaged piece of pipe, and couple in a new section.

I am quite comfortable on a drain line with a less laborious approach.
      If you have not already done so, I would cut out a small section of drywall to get good access at the pipe. Get some two-part epoxy putty at any hardware or homestore. Clean the pipe well to remove all dust, and maybe even sand lightly to get a good bond. Cut off about an inch of each part ( A and B ) of the epoxy. Knead them together well. Use a putty knife to ensure that some of the putty fills the hole itself...not too much, because you do not want a "snag" on the inside of the pipe. Then also build up the patch on the surface of the pipe, feathering the patch over an area an inch or so in diameter. If the size of the pipe is such that the inner surface of the drywall actually touches it, you will need to keep the patch as thin as possible. You do need a little thickness, and it is fairly easy to rough out the inside of the drywall patch piece to accomodate this.

I would not use this approach on a pressurized water line, but am quite comfortable doing it on a drain. I have done it on a pipe in my own house.

Comment

Patching PVC

Did the same thing. Forgot about the stack always being centered with the terlet. (Thanks, Archie!). To patch it, I used a large hole saw centered on the same goof hole. Took out the plaster disc, epoxyed the PVC hole, glued the drywall disc back to the PVC and patched the groove and center hole in the disc.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =