Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple backups....please help

Hi,

I'm in desperate need of some help and I hope someone here can provide it. First, a little background info.

I had a house built and moved in Jan of 2005. Three weeks after that, while I was taking a shower, I heard a gurgling noise coming from the toilet. When I got out of the shower, I went into the laundry room and it was flooded with water. The shower and toilet are in the master bath and the laundry room back up to each other.

Since then, it's happened about 9 times, and the gurgling always precedes it. And it's always while I'm either using the shower or using the washing machine.

I've been told many things.....that it's a city sewer problem, that it's the vents, that I'm putting something down the toilet, and the best one yet....that I'm using wrong toilet paper. This all coming from the plumbers that my builder uses to a plumber that I hired.

As for what has been checked....the vent, from inside the attic to up on the roof, and the main line has had the camera several times.

This past March, another plumber that I hired used the camera and thought that he saw way too many turns which led him to think that was where the problem was.

So the builders plumbers came in, ripped up the floor in the front bathroom and found several spots where there was backfall. The pipes were replaced and we all thought the problem was fixed.

Well, about 3 weeks ago, the gurgling happened again. Not wanting to clean up the flooding again, I immediately turned the shower off and luckily a backup didn't happen.

The builders plumbers came out again and said they have no idea what is wrong. They said again that it was probably a city sewer problem. Oh and they suggested that they remove the backflow preventer valve, so they could tell for sure. Well that is probably the most idiotic thing that someone has told me, so I said absolutely not.

Anyway, I had the city come out to check their line. I talked to him and he said the city line is fine. He also said that he checked my cleanout and saw that the ears on the white cap are broken. He also said that if there is the slightest problem with the backflow preventer, that it could cause these intermittent backups.

I talked to the builder today and we are at a standstill. He said everything looked fine to him. They said they don't know what more to do. Well, I'm not letting it go. I will call a lawyer and the local news if I have to.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Please, I'm desperate!

Thank you so much your time and help!

~ Colleen

Are the shower and laundry room on the same level of the house? If so, how is something in the laudry room lower than the shower so that gravity would cause a flood?

What is the situation on the home that a backwater valve is necessary?
    This is an unknown situtation, because if there is a problem with that valve, or if the main beyond is clogged, then of course the house can't drain.

Very suspicious that the builder found pipes with back-slope. Calls the entire installation into question.

Toilet paper matters, but only to the toilet. Once it gets into the line, it should not be a problem. Charmin and other "soft" papers which do not dissolve much in water, are more difficult to flush unless the toilet is a top performer. Scott, Costco, etc. flush more easily. None of this should affect the drain lines.

Comment

596....thank you for replying.

This is a one story house and the drain in the laundry room, where the water heater pipe feeds into, is the lowest point in the house. At least, that's what I've been told. And that is where the backup comes from, that drain.

What is the situation on the home that a backwater valve is necessary?
      I take it from your question that this is something that isn't always necessary? I thought that this prevented the city sewage from backing up into the house, if there is a city drain problem? Anyway, I guess I don't know the answer to your question, except to say that I'm the first house on the street, if that makes a difference.

Very suspicious that the builder found pipes with back-slope. Calls the entire installation into question.
      I agree. Which is why I'm demanding that every inch of my plumbing be investigated.

Toilet paper matters, but only to the toilet. Once it gets into the line, it should not be a problem.
      Finally!! Something that makes sense with regard to the toilet paper. Thank you!

Do you have any ideas as to what the problem could be? Could it be a vent problem, or does it sound like it's something having to do with main line?

Comment

Working...
      X
      =