Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chaulking bathtub shortcut

Half of the chaulk around my bathtub is bad and the other half still looks good (no stains, etc). Can I just remove the bad chaulk and leave the good chaulk on the tub. When I apply the new chaulk, will it look ok where the new chaulk meets the bad chaulk? Can you put a thin layer of new chaulk over top of the old chaulk (only at area where the new chaulk meets the old chaulk)? Trying to save myself extra work.
    Thanks for your help. Thanks for your help.

It would really help you to remove all the old caulk and start fresh. because of age the new will look better than the old. I doubt you could match the hues between the old and new. Nuther thing is that the bond between the tub and the old caulk would be compromised because of soap scum etc. when you do do it, use a razor knife to remove all the silicone. use acetone and a rag to remove all traces of scum and old caulking. acetone will soften the old silicone.

Comment

Just be sure the acetone will not hurt the tub finish!!! If it is a fiberglass or acrylic tub you will ruin the tub......the acetone will also take the paint off of a steel tub......if the tub is cast iron you will be OK

Comment

Normally when I do a chaulk job I'll remove whats necessary and then clean up with a mixture of bleach and water. Making sure I get all the nooks and crannys clean. Let it dry and then rechaulk.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =