Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I doing wrong

I'm running copper pipe up and over a door and to the hot water heater. I am trying to put the pipe together away from the building sodder it then put it in place. Every time I pick up the pipe to put it in place the joints break loose. Is it that easy to break the joint? Is it a bad sodder job? Do I have to soder it in place? I'm at a loss an my wife is giving me that I'm going to call a plumber look. What am I doing wrong?

to correctly sweat solder copper tubing you need a fitting brush, 180 grit emery cloth, paste flux, a paste brush, solder and a propane torch. first use the emery cloth to brightly polish the end of the tubing. use the fitting brush to clean off the inside of the fitting. using the brush apply a paste flux to both the tubing and the inside of the fitting. apply the heat to the fitting ONLY when the solder starts to melt it will be sucked up into the joint. keep applying the solder until it drips ONCE. remove heat and don't move the pipe until the solder solidifies. then wipe the joint with a cool rag.

Comment

What am I doing wrong

I get it now. The flux and cleaning the joints was the problem. Thanks much

Comment

Good job HayZee, when I first started out though, Big Daddy Plumber, would not allow that one "Gumdrop" under pipe. ha ha ha.
        Had one guy on the job that would wipe his joints too soon and crack the joint alot so as said....Let it dry.
        Gerry

Comment

Working...
        X
        =