Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck P-Trap Tail Piece

OK, I've done this dozens of times before, but this drain has me stumped. I am trying to remove the 1 1/2" PVC tail piece from the wall drain. I have removed the PVC nut, and the tail piece now slides back and forth. However, when I try and pull it all the way out, it just stops dead. No amount of tugging or even hammering will get it to budge any further.

Any ideas or suggestions? I am loath to cut off the drain tube and glue on a new thread because there is not much left coming out of the wall.

Thanks in advance!

p trap problems

take a look at the following diagram. from it, can you tell me where the jam seems to be.

Comment

More detail

HayZee518,

The point at which the tail piece stops sliding seems to be right around where the threaded adapter is connected to the wall drain pipe. However, I was under the assumptions that the part of the tail piece that connected to the wall did NOT have a barb or flange on it (as is shown in your drawing) -- just that it was a smooth pipe that slid into the drain (this is how all the others I have worked on have been). The tail piece will slide in and out about 4-5", but then come to a dead stop.

Does that help?

Thanks!

Comment

that bent part I drew has a poly gasket on the short end. that fits into the small part of the trap and the other side of it has an extended recess to fit sink tailpieces along with a compression ring and slip joint nut. That fitting going into the wall waste line is called a DESANKO fitting. I believe the nut is a 1 1/2 inch. So, cut the trap pipe with a hacksaw then get out your tin snips and cut a spiral into the thin pvc plastic as far as you can reach into the wall fitting. then use pliers and pull and twist the pvc, maybe use a razor knife inside the pipe in the fitting until you can remove the pvc pipe. then just go buy a new trap assembly and install it.

Comment

Well, that did it!

Thank you! Worked like a charm. I was initially worried that I was missing something obvious, but clearly not. I was not able to get too much of the old tail pipe out of the waste pipe, but after assembly this did not seem to affect performance at all. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X
          =