Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venting Ejector Pit

I have just installed a sewage ejector pit and the inspector told me that I cannot vent an ejector pit with an AAV. Now I am trying to decide the best/easiest way to vent it through the roof. I live in Denver, CO.

Option 1: The easiest option seems to be running the vent 10 feet to the nearest exterior wall and running it up along the outside of the house.

Option 2: Try to run it inside the interior wall next to the ejector pit. The problem here would be getting it through the lathe and plaster wall on our main floor. In addition this is a load bearing wall in the basement so I would like to jog around it in the floor joist above so I wouldn't have to cut such a big hole into the load bearing wall.

The questions I have are:
    1.) Which method would you recommend? Do you foresee any issues with either method?

2.) 2" ABS is the current vent material. Is it OK to use the same all the way through the roof?

3.) Should I tie into the main 5" cast iron vent in the attic or put a new hole through the roof for the 2" vent?

4.) If running it up the exterior of the house does it need to go into the attic or can it vent right through the soffit and roof at the edge of the house? (or does it need to be higher up on the roof)

your main stack vents the septic tank to atmosphere above the mean roof level. through your CI pipe. I would say tie into the main stack -or- a seperate pipe around the same level as the CI pipe off the main stack. my waste line has a three inch main that goes through the roof above the roof around three feet. my kitchen line also vents through the roof seperately from the main stack.

Comment

Option 1 will work just fine and the one I would do. Also the issue of cutting into the cast iron pipe can be a pain in the butt.
      Depending on type of roof you have.....shingles, or metal, cutting and putting on the roof jack on a metal roof is a bugger.
      If I had plenty or room in atic and the help of a couple of people to lift the cast iron after cutting it while placeing tee for branch line I would do this on metal roof.
      Also I do not know about where you live but here in Maine we get lots of snow and I have seen vent pipes get cleaned right off the roof if they are too low to eves when the snow slided off.
      If you get lots of snow, try to get the vent close to the peak.
      Gerry

Comment

Option 1

Great thanks for the replies. Option 1 sounds easier so I will...
        1.) run it up the side of the house
        2.) then into the attic
        3.) run it up near the ridge line
        4.) and put a new hole for it in the roof.

Putting a new hole sounds easier than cutting the cast iron main. Our roof is asphalt shingles that we put on last fall. I also have read some threads that mention ejector pits need a dedicated vent through the roof. I live in Denver, CO.

Are there any concerns with using ABS along the side of the house and through the roof? Currently, I am using ABS out of the ejector pit. The inspector mentioned that if I run a pipe along the side of the house it needs to be painted. Does anyone know why?

Comment

You don't need to run it anywhere on the outside of the dwelling.

Simply run it to an exterior wall then run it up "in" the wall and straight out through the roof. If your worried about snow slide etc...then use a retaining strap. (round ring goes around the pipe and clams on, the two straps go under shingles).
          2" pipe will be very easy to push up into the wall cavity. (or down if your coming from the roof).

I think code says that the vent must be 2' higher than anything within 3' and must be 10' from any opening eg: skylight etc...

Cutting into cast iron is most definitely not for the faint of heart.

It sounds like your inspector wants the pipe painted if installed on the exterior simply as a cosmetic thing, after all, who wants to see black pipe snaking it's way around and up the house walls !
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

As said the painting of the pipe is just an estetic thing or a local code.
            The code for the height is 2 feet above and structure that is 10 feet away so if your on a slanted roof, the top of vent pipe is 2 ft above any roof area that is in a 10 ft radius and as said 3 ft away of any structur opening such as the skylight.
            This is why it is is easier to jut bring the pipe close to the ridge and up the 2 feet.
            Gerry

Comment

Working...
            X
            =