Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I Need To Shut Off The Water Supply?

I need to replace my tub spout w/diverter. When the diverter is supposed to be directing water to the shower head there is a real good stream still going through the spout. My tub plumbing fixtures are in the following order from top to bottom: shower head, joystick style hot/cold water fixture, and then the spout w/diverter. Is it necessary to shut off the water supply before removing and replacing the spout? The joystick is quite a distance from the spout, I can't see myself moving it during the process.

no need to shut off the water just keep your joystick closed. the spout/diverter unscrews from a copper nipple. clean all traces of pipe dope or teflon tape off the nipple then apply fresh and screw the spout onto the nipple.

Comment

Yes, the spout simply unscrews counterclockwise off the copper nipple. But, I see that it is easier said than done. The spout went on in 1974 and in 2008 it does not want to come off. It apparently likes where it's at and is calling it a permanent home. There is no screw or slot for an allen wrench on the underside. The plumbing is behind a ceramic tile wall with no back access and on the other side of the wall is a kitchen with custom cabinets. Have you got any neat tricks up your sleeve for getting the thing to budge? Uh, what are the chances that I'll do harm to plumbing in the wall? (I want to avoid a Three Stooges Laurel & Hardy Tim the Toolman Taylor episode in the near future.) Thanks in advance for any assistance you may provide in helping me to avoid being up that creek without a paddle and helping me from having said creek in my basement.

I really like being able to take care of my home and appliance repairs. Construction and electrical stuff, I don't mind. Plumbing is another story. It could stem from an experience while I was still in high school and changed out a toilet lid/seat before the days of nylon fasteners. I overtightened the metal nut and cracked the bowl. Mr. Butts came and replaced the bowl. Yes, the plumber's name was actually Mr. Butts and while he was bent over working I suppose you could see Mr Butts' ...well you know.

Comment

undoubtedly it will be tight. since you are going to replace it you don't have to worry about scratching it. use a 14 inch pipe wrench and unscrew it counter clockwise. the pipe that the diverter is in may be a brass nipple screwed into a thing called a drop ell - or it may be a sweated copper tubing with an adapter on the end. worse case scenario is twisting the sweated copper tubing.

Comment

diverter replace

the diagram I drew up will give you some idea on how the thing in your wall is put together. your supplies come in from the bottom. the shower leg comes off the top, while the tub spout on the bottom. the mechanism in the spout consists of a metal plate that rises when you pull up in the knob. it effectively blocks the flow of water to the tub and the water backs up into the vertical pipe going to your shower. the diverter plate is held there by water pressure.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =