Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leak from upstairs tub

Our upstairs tub seems to be leaking into the flooring/ceiling below it. I noticed it started dripping through the ceiling sheetrock and onto my scanner in the work room below.
    My question: Is my only option to come at the leak/repair from below (through the ceiling) or is there any way to get to it from above?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Doug Kessler

I would cut a hole in the ceiling (it's wet anyway) and see the exact cause of leak. It is not hard to repair the hole and you will get rid of potential mold problem at the same time.

Good luck
    Is it beer thirty??

Comment

Thanks Bob! I figured it would be that way. I'll just boldly go....

Comment

If the ceiling is not in too bad of shape cut a hole in the wall in the room right behind the tub most big box stores carry the "Inspection Panels" they usually have two different sizes so you can cut the hole to match the size panel. Then from behind and at floor level you can see and reach all you need to repair the tub.

Nowadays it's mandatory that inspection panels are installed usually with shut off valves as well in alot of states.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks, I never thought of going to the wall behind the tub. Isn't the drain below the floor level?
          Will I still be able to reach the leak?

Comment

yeah, probably. most tub drains go horizontal after the tub drain pipes. yours might have a trap adjacent to the drain pipes. check the area where the tub and waste elbow is. there's a rubber gasket at the bottom of the tub and waste arm. the tub waste basket typically has a layer of plumber's putty underneath its flange. the waste arm and the overflow is a slip joint fitting.

Comment

Yes it will be below the floor level, usually sitting between floor joists but there is usually plenty of room to work.

Like Hayzee suggested there is usually only 3 fittings that can leak and maybe if you have metal pipes a small hole in the bottom of te P trap.
              Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
              Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =