Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Condensate Disposal into Pumpless Sump Pit

The condensate from my new construction PA home HVAC unit empties into my sump pit located inside my basement. This is a sump pit WITHOUT a pump thus the only way that the water is discharged is through the foundation drain line where water would normally be entering. All the house have sump pits but none have needed to install sump pumps since the drainage seems quite functional.

The pit itself has no way of completely emptying and thus there is always several gallons of condensate water in the bottom. Does this raise issues such as mold, stagnated water, odors, moisture infusion,etc? Once the water level reaches the foundation inlet, it is then discharged via gravity into the foundation drain to leech out from there!

Does the IBC consider disposing the condensate into a non-emptying sump pit as a 'proper disposal area'? A reference to the IBC would be most helpful so that I can take the issue up with the subcontractor.

I think your concern is well founded but unfortunately properly installed with an In-direct drain this is a leagal hook-up.
    By In-direct drain I mean that the outlet of the condensation pipe must be several inches above the rim of the receptical it is draining into creating what is known as an Air Gap.
    This protects your unit from flooding.
    You can treat the standing water with chlorine tablets purchased at pool & spa stores but some say this is worse then the musty smell. At lest this will take care of mold and bacteiria that may want to grow in the water.
    Gerry

Comment

why would anyone create a well for condensate in the first place? AND without a way for the effluent to drain or at least be pumped out. standing water promotes algae buildup, bad odors etc.

Comment

You could always redirect the condensation line directly to the entrance of the foundation drain line, this way the condensation would never make it to the bottom of the sump pit.

FUNNY STORY TIME :
        Knew a guy who had almost the same set up as the original post, his solution was to drill holes in the bottom of the sump pit to let the small amount of collecting water to seep into the ground below the pit.......he couldn't work out why the pit filled up to the drain line with water and never went down past the drain entrance, he didn't figure on ground water coming up.
        DO NOT DRILL HOLES IN THE BOTTOM....lol
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
          why would anyone create a well for condensate in the first place? AND without a way for the effluent to drain or at least be pumped out. standing water promotes algae buildup, bad odors etc.
          The sump pit has to be deep enough to hold water to make the float work on a sump pump but this is not used in this application, and even if one was used the pump does not take 100% of the water out only down to where the float breaks contact.
          Most HVAC have evaporator pans built in them with no need for external drains...check with MFG for your model.
          or as pushkins suggest redirect this line so it goes into the drain hole itself but as stated above somewhere in the line (we usually set them up right at appliance) the In-Derect drain should be used.
          Gerry

Comment

Working...
          X
          =