X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waterproofing shower tiles (marble

Hey All,

DIY noob here so be gentle!

Please bear in mind that these bathrooms are going to be completely refurbished, starting in the next couple of months

I am currently looking after a large property with several bathrooms. I discovered water dripping from light sockets below the shower I normally use, and eventually discovered a few "holes" in the grouting/sealant between the marble slabs and the marble/showertray join. Plumber says I need to remove all the existing grout up to a certain height and regrout/seal. Currently leaving to dry out. Can someone give me a numpties guide/technique as to how to effect a repair that will last several months?

The other shower I was going to start using whilst the original shower cures/drys oit, I noticed has a couple of much smaller holes too. Although this shower has never been used what product shall I use to "seal" those holes as it seems pointless starting again when it will all be ripped out soon?

Thanks for Looking

You have a lot more problems than a few grout leaks to be talking about water dripping from a lower fixture. You need to get a hold of a professional tile installer who routinely knows how to do a custom shower. As a DIY you can save by doing the tear out, but don't even attempt to put it back in unless you opt for a prefab shower unit. These applications need to be done with 2-3 water barriers with weeps in between layers, etc. Temp fix up 100% silicone in holes and wipe relatively smooth to the surface. A quick fix only. A custom shower lining will cost $3500-5000 depending on the tile you choose. Sorry there is no magic answer or easy solution here unless you choose to put in a prefab unit.

Comment

Thanks for that. Like I say all the bathrooms are going to be ripped out in the next couple of months or so, so a temp fix with sealant and regular monitoring should hopefully be enough .

Comment

Working...
      X
      =