Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sump pump noise

All of a sudden I have noticed my sump pump kicking on. It is noisier than usual. It still pumps water out. I know the check valve noise and it's not that. It just sounds like the motor is getting ready to burn up. Anything I can do before I replace it?

two pumps may be used you werent specific. a fully submersible pump is sealed with a mineral oil inside for cooling and lubrication. the effluent flows through the passage to cool the motor. if this mineral oil leaks out, the lubrication factor goes down and the motor windings start to heat up. normally there is a ceramic/carbon seal between the motor shaft and the pump. A pedestal type sump pump has a long shaft that connects the motor to the pump body. impeller to housing clearances are close but not air-tight. sand getting in between the seal and housing will have a detrimental effect [ a grinding] and will compromise the seal. if you can get hold of an amprobe, check the motor current read against the motor nameplate current. this will give you an indication of whether its gonna be out to lunch in a short time.

Comment

Thanks

Just one submersible pump being used that is about 8 years old. I think you are right on. It sounds like the motor is turning without much to any lubrication. That's the sound/impression I'm getting. I purchased a pump last night so I'll just switch them out to be safe. I have a finished basement and don't want to take any chances.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =