Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I replace Polybutylene

After trying to change a kitchen faucet myself, the pipe connections under the sink started leaking (dripping). After calling a plumber, he said the pipes were defective because they were made from polybutylene. I realize I have this piping under all the sinks. I'm wondering if this will be a problem long term and if I should have it replaced or not.

I purchased this property only 2 weeks ago and Neither my realtor nor the home inspector told me anything about this.

I heard there is a class action law suit against the company but I don't think I'm eligible because the duplex was built in 1983 (and there are restrictions on the time from the property was built to the time you claim).

Any advice is appreciated.

I never trusted any type of domestic water system to plastic. The only exception is the drainage system. PEX which is new is an exception. You can "fish" pex through wall cavities and studs. I repiped my whole house with copper back in 2000. Genoa was a manufacturer of the type you speak of.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      I never trusted any type of domestic water system to plastic. The only exception is the drainage system. PEX which is new is an exception. You can "fish" pex through wall cavities and studs. I repiped my whole house with copper back in 2000. Genoa was a manufacturer of the type you speak of.
      That's a scary statement. I just re plumbed my tub with CPVC. Why don't you like plastic?

Comment

Pup would be the one to ask on that. CPVC is chlorinated poly vinyl chloride. PVC is poly vinyl chloride. Plastic droops in every installation I've seen. Joints ALWAYS leak. The tubing gets very brittle with age. When I moved into MY house most of the plumbing going upstairs was exposed in my dining room area. When I had the water turned on I had one hell of a fountain.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =