Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sulphuric smell in H20

Recently the local fire dept. flushed out all the lines as they do from time to time, we noticed a sulphur smell in our water that simply wouldn't go away. I changed out the whole house water filter and presto the cold water was fine, the problem is the hot water still smells of it. If you have a cold shower no smell, as you introduce the hot water the smell increases incrementaly as the hot increases.
    Anyone have any ideas on a solution ?
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

only thing I can figure is that the supply to the hot water tank was admitted during the fire hydrant flush and the sulphur smell is inside the heater. if an artesion well is sunk too deep it may be picking up sulphur deposits at the bottom of the casing. my uncle in canada had such a well that was sunk too deep and the sulphur was evident everyday the water was used.

Comment

Smelly hot water...

Shut off the water heater and completely drain it. Let the cold in to flush it for a bit, then refill the tank and turn it back on.

Comment

Go to AO Smiths web site and check there article on sulfur smell in hot water. It can be caused by bacteria growing in the heater and sometimes the only way to get rid of it is to treat the water heater. When they flushed the mains it may have stirred something up, usually it happens after a water main break or in a private well

Comment

Working...
        X
        =