Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clogged Bathroom Sink Drain

Hello friends at Home Repair Forum,
    You have helped me out with many home repairs in the past, and I am very grateful.
    My bathroom sink was draining slowly so I used Liquid Plumber. It was better for awhile, but started draining slowly again. Then, I used a liquid form or Rid-X (I have a septic tank), and it drained pretty well. Now, the water is sitting in the sink and will not drain at all. What shall I do? I don't know any reliable plumbers in my area. In fact, I can't find any handymen at all. I remortaged my house so I could make some major repairs. Thus far, none of the men who have come to give me an estimate have ever returned. Meanwhile, I'm slowly spending the money I had set aside for the home repairs. Sorry to vent! The sink is my immediate problem. Do you think my beauty scares men away? HA!
    Thanks,
    Millay

underneath your sink is a plumbing fitting called an S trap or P trap. there are two slip joint nuts that hold these guys in the drain system. use a channel lock plier to loosen these slip joint nuts, put a bucket underneath the trap and remove it. now clean out the gunk inside. put it back together and hand tighten the slip joint nuts, then give it another quarter turn with the channel lock pliers.

Comment

if you find that the clog is not in your "P" trap....see if any of your area stores carry "Liquid Lightning". It is a drain opener but it is a virgin hydrochloric acid...if the clog is organic, this drain opener will take it out. Good luck

Comment

Try to avoid using so called "drain cleaners", they seldom work like they advertise and are extremely bad for septic systems. Like Hayzee suggested most often your blockage is in the P trap right below the sink, it's an easy and cheap fix to clean it out.
        Last edited by pushkins; 08-03-2008, 05:36 AM.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

drain cleaners are hazardous to home owners, the septic system and professional plumbers. something like DRAINO is particularly bad. It has in it lye - sodium hydroxide, sodium hypochloride, chips of aluminum and magnesium metal. when the hydoxide powder and hypochloride powder meets water it forms a liquid that reacts with the magnesium and aluminum to create heat! this heat is supposed to melt any grease in the drain and emulsify it. its not always successful and help any plumber that gets this liquid on him. IT BURNS! Use air pressure to unclog a drain or a mechanical auger snake.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =