Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water In My Basement

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Just moved from Oregon to Grand Island, NY. We had lots of rain in Oregon, however nothing compard to the down fall we had here yesterday in upstate NY.
    I noticed the bottom part of my downspouts were spurting out water from an elbow connecting the spout to an underground pipe of some kind. (I am on septic) the force of this spurting water was tremendous. I decided to take a look in my basement, and holy cow, it was flooded about ankle deep. The sump pump was working feverishly, but it appeared the water being pumped up out of the basement was only going to the spurting pipe outside. There was some sort of a drainage pipe leading into the sump pump crock that had a valve on it, so I shut that off. That stoped the outsie spurting and allowed the exsisting water in the basement to be pumped out. My question - what in the world, or where in the world is my roof water suppose to be going? And why was it spurting out that stress fracture in the drainage pipe? And what could that copper pipe be that was hanging over top of my sump pump crock? It appears my drainage pipes are leading towards the septic system, but run off water can not go into that can it? Thank you so much for any insight.
    Peanut

peanut - I'm originally from Buffalo so I know where grand island is. according to buffalo code the downspouts shall not empty into any drain system, but outside to grade or down the driveway to the street. I expect grand island building codes to be pretty much the same. are you off whitehaven blvd. many of these houses are on septic.

Comment

Most definatley storm water cannot go into a septic system EVER and NEVER. If it did one down pour and your tank would be full.

It looks like you have a blocked pipe that that downspout feeds into, if your not able to snake it out it would be a call to a plumber or a friend that can.

I'm not sure what that copper pipe with the valve you refer to is , if you could take a picture or two and post them here it might help.

There should be only one pipe coming from your sump pump to the outside and that more than likely will be plastic and probably 1 1/4" in diameter.

PS....Nice house on the beach in Oregon (I never look at poster links.....did this one though.)
      Last edited by pushkins; 08-25-2008, 04:38 PM.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thank you for your insight "Buffalo" Our home is on Love Rd. near the west river. The home was inspected before we bought a couple months ago. Nothing was noted in the home inspection report about the downspouts being attached to underground drains, so now I'm really perplexed about what's going on.

Comment

Thank you Pushkins. I'm charging my camera battery, but before I take pics, would it help knowing that the copper pipe I'm refering to is hooked up to all my cold water pipes, then ends up in the sump pump crock?

Comment

And thanks for looking at my Oregon beach home. It was hard to leave it, but at least I still own it, and can go back if NY doesn't work out for us.

Comment

If that is the case then what was it doing open, it would have been dumping city water directly into your sump pump to be pumped outside ?
              Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
              Every day is a learning day.

Comment

I think I must have turned that valve on inadvertently while I was swimming around trying to figure out how to turn my sump pump on. So that pipe must be some sort of flushing system to turn on if the crock area is dirty and needs a flushing. So I'm going to say that mystery can be put to rest. Now I need to see if perhaps my problem is a clogged outside drainage pipe. Any idea where that pipe leads to? There is a big metal man hole cover just adjacent to my septic cover but I know idea what or where that leads. I'm back off the road several hundred feet and my backyard where the septic is, is about an acre on a raised septic field.
                Thanks so much Pushkins, you have been very helpful.

Comment

peanuts that copper pipe over the sump hole is a drain for the water system. if you ever needed to drain your lines then other than the hot water system which would probably use a garden hose, the cold water needs to go somewhere. upon the basement floor is not an option so that's why its over the sump pit. do me a favor as moderator - please drop the url reference in your signature. it looks like an ad and if it stays there will be treated as one. you may be banned for a little while until it is dropped. I tried to send you a private msg but it was left unanswered.

Comment

Thanks Hayzee for your help. This is a very logical explanation, thank you. I don't understand why I would be banned from this site for my link, since it was an option for setting up my profile, but as the new kid on the block I will heed your advice and remove. Thanks again. Side note, my computer did say I had a private message attempt coming in, but my system would not let me open it in fear of a possible virus.

Comment

my computer both of them use avast anti virus programs incoming and out going emails are scanned before transmission or reception. I make darned sure I'm not re-transmitting a virus. my programs update themselves two-three times a day with virus definitions hardcore virus and heuristic virii. - hayzee.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =