Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• propane for fireplace

Hi,

I'm having a direct vent gas fireplace installed in the den. we will be using propane because natural gas is not available in the neighborhood. I had the plumber run 1/2 iron pipe from where the tank will go, to the unit. I've been calling the bottled gas companies here, but it seems like I have to lease the tank as well as buy the gas. Can I just use a 40 lb cylinder & operate the fireplace with that? I thought about getting 2 tanks, regulator & hose attached to the end of the iron pipe, & just taking them to get refilled as needed.

Thanks

yeah I don't see why not! I've used my 25# tanks in place of the large tank for my stove in the kitchen. I have a 200# tank outside that holds 47.5 gallons of propane. My supplier provided the tank and propane for a flat fee of $145 two years ago. I just pay for the refills as they come up.

Comment

Yes, the leasing and buying of propane from the gas company is the norm. nowadays.
      Why don't you use a 100lb. tank from Lowe's or the like ($129) ? the fireplace depending on it's BTU's will chew up some propane so the 100lb'er might save you running out to get refills all the time.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

I didn't know Lowes sold 100 lb tanks. Do you think they sell them here in NY?
        Thanks everyone for your help!

Comment

Can't see why they wouldn't sell them there. I've seen them for sale in 5 states all at he same price.
          Even if your local store doesn't have them you can order them from them online. ( they can be shipped as they have never been filled)

Comment

Aubuchon hardware has them in stock at all their stores in NY and New England. I'm from upstate in Saint Regis Falls and the store in Malone has them.

Comment

I'm down on Long Island..I'll have to look at the new Lowes they just opened here in Stony Brook. How much do they cost?

Comment

$129 + tax

Comment

Lowes still has them, 100 lb = 20 gallon tanks. Get one of those as a 50 lb is going to cost nearly as much and be just a little easier to transport. Get a screw on cover for it to protect the valve while you are transporting it back and forth. Those things aren't all that heavy but if you put it in your trunk make sure you block it so it doesn't roll around denting your car. You can expect to save 30 - 40% hauling your own as opposed to having it delivered. You win out big as they tend to love to come and fill you when the price is highest and / or you don't need it and there is no way to keep them out of there. The fuel oil guys are famous for that too unless you put a lock on your tank. Try not to set the tank directly on the ground. Keep it up on something like a block or wood so it gets some ventilation as they rust out from the bottom where the ring is welded on. Keep the mud out of there if you can. I use one of those cheapo hand trucks to move mine around and usually tie it to the frame with a ratchet strap.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =