Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! safety hazard! Door opens on heater

I'd appreciate some suggestions.
    My little cabin in NE Washington only had electric heat. In order to be prepared for any Winter power outages, I added a propane wall heater on the only vacant piece of wall I had. But my hall closet door opens right onto the heater creating a safety hazard. I thought I'd kept aware of it but the other day, I left the door open and it got a little blackened before I smelled it.
    I don't want this to happen again! I would love some suggestions. I'm toying with looking for an automatic door closer (if they make them for interior wood doors). For now, I'm sticking with electric heat and saving the propane for emergencies.
    Thanks for your help.

why not just take the door off or at least install a door stop on one of the hinge pins.

Comment

Or get a automatic door closer mechanism, they are available at Lowe's and Home Depot, they attach to the top of the door and can be adjusted for fast or slow closing.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Is the door open only 90 degrees when it contacts the heater? Or is it open 180 degrees and it contacts the heater? If it is open 180 deg. and it contacts the heater,then you can use the door stops on the hinge pins. If it only opens 90 degrees and contacts the heater, I would switch the door to a bifold. used

Comment

you can buy a hinge stop . you just remove a hinge pin, slide it threw the stop,replace the pin, and adjust the set screw( set screw goes against the door frame).
          this will allow you to adjust how wide the door can open. and its a cheap fix at just a couple bucks. TAZ
          nuthing like being woken up at 12:AM to unstop some one elses toilet.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =