Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this basement bathroom Plumbing Plan ok?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this basement bathroom Plumbing Plan ok?

Is this plumbing plan ok? I am finishing a bathroom in my basement. Wanting to add a vanity sink, toilet, shower and a wet bar just outside the bathroom. The builder only roughed in the toilet (3ā€ drain) and a 2ā€ vent pipe. See the attached sketchs of the existing rough-in and my proposed plan. Is the proposed plan ok? It looks like a lot of piping but is the only thing I could come up with to meet code as I understand it. Can this be simplified? Iā€™m trying to minimize the amount of concrete I have to bust up. I live in Ohio just outside Cincinnati.
    Thanks Fred.
    Last edited by Freddiy; 01-03-2009, 12:24 PM.

jnaas2 is our resident plumber. run it past him. I do know that you can't use sanitary tees where you join the main line. use a tee wye with an eighth bend

Comment

Thanks, I'll make sure to use the tee wye with an eighth bend. I hadn't spec'ed out my fittings yet but thanks for getting me started on the right path on this one. I'll wait for Jnaas2 to confrim that the overall plan is ok.
      Thanks Fred

Comment

Fred you may be able to reduce some of your vent sizes but I need a floor plan with dimensions and where the walls are located, What kind of cieling height do you have in this room, you may be able to elevate the shower and not need to bust up any concrete at all

Comment

Jnaas2, Thanks for the quick reply. I've attached a floor plan that should give you the data you requested. I've also attached an update to my piping plan. I moved the shower tie-in closer to the toilet stub up. Now it is 12" from center of shower tie-in connection to center of toilet stub-up. Is this ok? This allows me to leave the existing under slab piping as is and only cut into the 3" main at one place making a simplier tie-in. Not sure why I was thinking of moving the location of the other connections peviously? As you can see from the floor plan the 3" pipe from the toilet stub-up runs outside the shower area so I'll have to cut the floor to run the shower pipe under the shower area. Also I have already busted up a bunch of the concrete. I had to do this so that I could see what was under the floor and where the pipe runs were. Thanks for your help.
          Fred

Comment

I cant see any problems with your plan but the one thing I would check is to see if you can legally lay a vent line on its side in the county you live in. The 2 inch line that was originally installed was more then likely a wet vent for the toilet. This is a drain that will recieve water from a sink and also vent the toilet at the same time, the state I live in will not allow a vent line to be run horizontally until it is 6 inches above the flood level of the fixture it serves but it can be installed at a 45 degree anle to horizontal. The line going to the shower may need to angle towards the wall that the sink is located on so the vent doesnt need to be run horizontally. The reason that a vent isnt supposed to be run horizontally is if the fixture drain clogges up it will fill the vent with water and other things and can eventually clog the vent line. One other thing to think of is the drains are run then the concrete floor is poured and then the shower is set, you need to get the rough in dimensions for the shower you are going to use and run the line to the shower with the glued p trap located exactly where you need it. To make things easier you can build a box 12 inches by 12 inches where the shower drain will be and and pour the concrete except for this area and test fit the shower later and have a little wiggle room for the drain line

Comment

Jnaas2, This makes a lot of sense. I've updated the plans as you suggested. See attached. I will route the shower drain pipe over to the small wall next to the toilet. This is dead space behind here anyway. I can then bring the vent up vertically from here and tie into the existing vent behind the toilet as originally planned. Since the vent piping is now above slab I also reduced the vent size to 1.5" pipe. Great suggestion on building a box to not fix the shower location until I get the shower itself.

Another option I was toying with before I started this post was to not add the extra vent for the shower at all. To do this I would have tied in the shower just downstream of the existing wet vent tie-in. That way I would have both the toilet and the shower wet vented from the existing vent. However from my research I found that a 2" wet vent is not large enough for both a toilet and a shower. Is this accurate? Eliminating this extra vent would make this a lot easier.
              Thanks Fred

Comment

Working...
              X
              =