Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sediment in water heater?

I am getting a white sediment buildup in both kitchen and bathroom faucets(most likely all but more room to pass in others) causing water flow to almost stop.

I am able to flush by removing aerator and screens while keeping hot water on high. This is occurring in an upstairs rental and am unsure how quickly water begins to slow. This is the second time in 12 months.

I assume sediment is coming from water heater but am unsure if I can repair/replace parts or if entire unit is going bad. No problems with water temperature.

Any ideas?

that could be a high level of lime in the water. have you tried an all house water filter?

Comment

What model and brand of water heater do you have, They had some problems with the diptube in some models breaking up into very small pieces and you would find them in the sink aerators. If the diptube breaksdown a sympton will be very little hot water available before it turns cold. The diptube takes the cold water to the bottom of the heater and when its not there the water goes in then right back out. Let Me know the brand and I can check to see if its one they had problems with

Comment

I believe Jnaas2 is probably right in his diagnosis of your problem being a defective dip tube. The link below is an excellent information page that includes instructions for a vinegar test on the debris, and a serial # listing of all the affected makes and models.

Rusty Layton, ASHI Certified Home Inspector, Defective Dip Tube

Sadly to say all water heaters affected by this defect are over 10 years of age and are in the twilight of their expected service life. It may be wisest to opt for replacement if indeed yours is affected.
        I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
        Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
        Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
        Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =