Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• copper pipe

When reading the post concerning red or blue copper I am glad to read that most plumbing contractors use type L copper for supply and distribution. When I built my house they used type M which would ordinarily be okay, but FYI, if you have a well you would be way ahead of the game to insist on type L (Blue Label) over time if there is any sediment in the water, it will begin to eat through the pipe within the first 5 years, especially the horizonal runs where the sediment settles during idle times. The problems start with pinholes and if not repaired promptly they quickly get worse.

If the water is from a well have the ph level checked and if its below 7.0 then you have acidic water. Normaly if it test acidic I will not install copper because it will develop pin holes in the copper because its being dissolved from the inside out, putting the thicker cooper will delay the process but not stop it

Comment

If you have agressive water conditions it may be wise to consider alternatives to copper such as PEX or, CPVC.

As stated above PH below 7.0 is tough on copper.
      An acid neutralizer should be considered if that is what you have.
      I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
      Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
      Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
      Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I have already started replacing all of the copper with cpvc, but I had not thought about the acidity of the water. I will check into an acid neutralizer.

Comment

I would have the water tested to determine what your water treatment needs are before buying anything.
          I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
          Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
          Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
          Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =