Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sticking hose pipe to PVC pipe

Hello!
    I am having a bit of a problem, i have a PVC pipe end (not sure what its called, but its on the top left of the below image...note: i did not take out this pic, just found it on the web)

and i need to pass this hose (again, not my pic but am using the identical hose) Attachment.jpg picture by Muleous - Photobucket

through it and make sure it "sticks" to the pvc as well as fill in the gaps (so effectivally there is a pipe within a pipe) that i will be putting in an aquarium, hopefully these two pics should give you a better idea:

and pic 2

i have tried using aquarium silicone to hold this together, but the silicone kind of peels off at the slightest pressure, and its not keeping a watertight seal above.

The aquarium came to me with the PVC already attached in this way with a hole in the bottom and its watertight, the only problem is getting this new hose to be in place and watertight on top.

Please advise, and please note i am in now way a professional in this stuff, although i like working with my hands I am very new to this so please explain any "professional terms".
    To my credit, I did open up the whole tank and reglue it without any help, so am not totally useless no matter what my ex girlfriends might tell you

Thanks in advance!

The fitting is a schedule 80 pvc fitting. You should be able to use a good silicone caulk and seal between the 2

Comment

Originally posted by jnaas2 View Post
      The fitting is a schedule 80 pvc fitting. You should be able to use a good silicone caulk and seal between the 2
      Hey!

Thanks for replying!!

I'll search for "caulk", I'm an English speaker in Sweden so will first have to check what it's called here.

This is not necessary but I would appreciate it if you explained what this means: " schedule 80"
      I hate understanding half a sentence

Cheers!
      Ryan

Comment

Can you recommend any product from this page:

caulk on eBay.co.uk

Thanks!
        Ryan
        Last edited by ryans; 02-27-2009, 12:45 AM. Reason: too big link...shortened link

Comment

There are two things you need to be very careful of, that the silicone needs to be underwater proof and that it is safe for aquarium use (very important).
          A pool grade silicone would meet the criteria of underwater use, but I'm not sure about aquarium use. Try asking at your local aquarium supply house what your looking for is like the product at this link:

Ace - Ace Tree: Paint: Caulk & Sealants: Pure Silicone Caulk: DapĀ® Aquarium Silicone Sealant (00688)
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
            There are two things you need to be very careful of, that the silicone needs to be underwater proof and that it is safe for aquarium use (very important).
            A pool grade silicone would meet the criteria of underwater use, but I'm not sure about aquarium use. Try asking at your local aquarium supply house what your looking for is like the product at this link:

Ace - Ace Tree: Paint: Caulk & Sealants: Pure Silicone Caulk: DapĀ® Aquarium Silicone Sealant (00688)
            Hey!
            Thanks for replying.

Quick question: Would you recommend me buying one of the pool grade silicones and then when it dries coating it with aquarium silicone that i already have?

Thanks!
            Ryan

Comment

You could also get yourself a small can of spray foam and fill the void between the two pipes with low expansion foam, then seal the foam off from the water with your aquarium silicone. The spray foam would hold the pipe to the pipe and the silicone would be your seal.
              Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
              Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Ohh good! I learnt something new today! Had no idea of filler foam

Will start searching on ebay, if in the meantime you find a good link please feel free to share.

Thanks again!
                R

Comment

What size pipes are you dealing with?
                  I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
                  Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
                  Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
                  Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood View Post
                    What size pipes are you dealing with?
                    Hey!

I dont really know, but heres a pic of my setup and from the docs of the filter that i am using i can tell you the hose on the right has an internal diameter of 15.2mm

I have no idea what sizes the pvc pipes come in but hopefully looking at the hose (15.2mm) you should know what the pipe sizes are.

Thanks!
                    R

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =