Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basement drain?

In my basement I have a pipe that is around 8" below the floor that drains into my sump pit but I have no idea where the pipe goes under the floor or where it actually drains from. It trickles or even a small stream after a good rain so I know it works but I am trying to figure out why its there and where it is draining from. It is angled so that it goes almost corner to corner across the diameter of my basement. Can anyone please tell me what it is actually draining and why?

thanks

if you have a high water table it could be a pressure relief so your basement floor doesn't rise up and crack.

Comment

Most modern basements have a drainage system in place. Basically it's crushed gravel with a pipe system under the slab directing water to the sump pit. It sounds like the system is doing it's job, but it's better if the pump doesn't have to run at all. Check your landscaping and downspouts to make sure all rain water is being directed away from your house. As Hayzee says, you may have a high water table. In which case you have to rely on the pump.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =