Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replumbing house....

Hi, All. Just found this forum. Hope I can get some advice on our plans. Basic info: Moved into a two story brick built prior to end of Civil War. Well is at 25 ft dp x 200 ft from house. Feed line is 3/4. Most plumbing throught out house is 1/2 copper. First floor laundry, kitchen and lav/shower. 2nd flr lav/shower. Electric 40G water heater in basement.
    My wife and I are proposing: moving lndry to 2nd flr. installing local tankless heater on 2nd flr for laundry and 2nd flr bath/sink. installing smaller tankless at 1st flr bath/sink. Installing another smaller unit at kitchen sink/dishwasher. Feed upstairs with one 1 & 1/4" copper and tap off that for all 2nd floor needs. Feed downstairs lav area with 1" up to the point of use and neck down there. Feed kitchen area with 1" and tap off for sink and D/washer. Will replace well with deeper/larger pump for upgrade in pressure and volume. Will replace feed from well to house with minimum 1".
    Any suggestions/improvements? Or are we all wet in what we're thinking of doing?
    By the way...the 1st flr lav needs to be completely renovated from flr joists up due to past water leaks in shower floor. 2nd flr lav is directly overhead. Lndry is directly in back of 1st flr lav and would be moved 'straight' upstairs.

It looks like you want to place multiple tankless water heaters, I do not think that is needed. They are designed to simply replace what is already there. You should only need one for the whole house and just mount it on the wall off the cold main in. They are fairly expensive so buying multiple heaters would be steep. My home is new and has 3/4 running off the main to supply each floor and then 1/2 from there to each room.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Slowlearner. That being on a new house is good info. I was concerned about it because of the present length of time it takes to get warm water from the basement to the second floor. Since that will be the eventual focal point of hot water useage, I thought it would be best to place it there. Have you found any drop in pressure or volume when you crack more than a couple faucets at the same time? The last house had 1" supply from the well 200' away. Here it's 3/4" and we note a severe drop if more than one faucet is open.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =