Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water heater advice needed

My current WH is showing signs of leakage. Going to order a new one this week. Does anyone have input on which brands are well-regarded in terms of reliability and efficiency? FWIW it's a 40 gal. natural gas unit.
    Also, is it true that no tank-style gas heaters currently qualify for the Energy Star tax deduction?

my wife's last non married name is carter - you from new york?

Comment

I would highly recommend Bradford-White gas water heaters!

A few years back the requirement was mandated to require FVIR technology on water heaters, Read at this link: Bradford White | FVIR Technology

IMHO Bradford White is the only manufacturer that got it right!
      Rheem/Ruud comes up a close second.

Absolutely do not got to Lowes and buy a water heater. They sell Whirlpools and several other "Labels" which are made by American Waterheaters. They are the worst of the worst with what I would consider a fundimental design flaw. They have had a class action lawsuit Bowen, et al. v. Whirlpool Corp., et al. Settlement Website and even the fix is less than reliable. Check the current complaints at this link: Consumer complaints about Whirlpool Water Heaters

If you are in California you may be required to have an Ultra Low NOX water heater installed. Again Bradford White did the homework and others come up short. Bradford White | What is SCAQMD?
      Bradford White | What is SCAQMD?
      If you are in either of these areas the Bradford White Eco-Defender is your best choice. Bradford White | What is SCAQMD?

Bradford White is supposed to only be sold to licensed plumbers athough some dealers break that rule.

As for tankless it may or may not be viable for you. The gas supply will probably require a size upgrade as tankless heats instantly it has a much larger burner to do so. Maybe 5 times what you have presently. Also rate of rise is important as the specs are often written showing a larger gallon flow at a low rate of rise. In my area needing an 80 or 90 degree rate of rise in the winter would not be uncommon so that unit touting a 40 degree rate of rise with 7 GPM flow might not be very attractive with a 1.9 GPM @ 90 degree rating in the fine print. An installation may go $2-3K and have a 4% per year payback. Read at this link and post back if you are still ready to talk about it. Note the article is very pro tankless and has great information. Once you understand how it works we'll be ready to talk. But I will say if you live in the northern 1/2 of the country it probably does not pay. Welcome to Tankless101.com
      Last edited by Redwood; 05-21-2009, 12:01 PM.
      I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
      Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
      Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
      Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
        my wife's last non married name is carter - you from new york?
        Yes I am from new york

Comment

Originally posted by donaldcarter55 View Post
          My current WH is showing signs of leakage. Going to order a new one this week. Does anyone have input on which brands are well-regarded in terms of reliability and efficiency? FWIW it's a 40 gal. natural gas unit.
          Also, is it true that no tank-style gas heaters currently qualify for the Energy Star tax deduction?
          Bradford white is what we install, nice units. not sure about the tax break but i doubt it unless maybe the direct vents qualify

Comment

Yes there are Bradford White Energy Star Rated Water Heaters that qualify for rebates. Bradford White | Energy Star Water Heaters
            Last edited by Redwood; 05-22-2009, 09:06 PM.
            I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
            Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
            Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
            Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =