Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vent Bathroom Exhaust Through Soffit

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I'll try. I just installed a ventilation fan in my bathroom and now need to vent it to outside. I was thinking of venting it through the soffit but I've heard that it is not a good idea because the soffit will draw the moisture back into the attic once it exits the vent. However, I know of a lot of houses that vent through the soffit. The other option is the roof, but I may create a leak if I cut a hole in the roof.

What do you think?

Thanks for the help

Venting via the roof is the best option as moist air being warm, rises, many people however are a little wary of cutting a hole into an otherwise perfect roof.
    Venting via the soffit is an acceptable way as well, you can buy soffit vent kits at most big box stores and they are very easy to install. I don't think you need worry too much about the soffit drawing the moisture back in as the vent flow will push the air out far enough that natural air currents will disburse the moisture, and what little if any does make it's way back into the attic space, will not be a drop in the ocean compared to the standard attic moisture levels.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thank you. Just wanted to mention also that my attic has pretty good ventilation with the two side vents and the soffit. Pretty windy when I'm up there.

Comment

Venting out the soffit is the way to go (no cutting thru the roof)
        Note:soffit vents have a "flap" which closes when the blower is off .

Comment

Working...
        X
        =